Switching Chick Feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mylilchix, Aug 21, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had my 9-11 week chicks eating Purina Start & Grow. Well, yesterday when I was at the feed store i forgot to pick up chick feed there. I'm heading to another one today, but they carry a different brand. Will it be ok to switch the chicks to a different medicated feed or should I make a special trip to get the Purina?

Thanks, Sonja

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can switch them, no problem. Usually, feeds contain the same grains, etc, anyway, however, the new one may have a different coccidiostat than Amprolium-you'll have to read the label.

3. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I had the same problem- and got nutrena instead of purina-Ihtought no probelm - these babies are indoors on shavings - which are changed REAL often - (and some were still on shelf liner) and Nutrena is a GOOD brand-- but I lost 3 babies in 2 days- I went and go purina and mixed the 2 and it was fine- the moral- don't do it quickly- mix it slowly and they should be fine. Now i did have a light go out on one set of babies where I lsot 2- but I lost 1 in a brooder that had no light/heat problem. I seldom lose babies. And htese were babies that were over 2 weeks old and had no symptoms- just boom- dead.THe feed did not smell of look bad in any way. Just my experience- I would mix the 2 if at all possible-not just make a big change

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nutrena in my area has an extra ingredient for a coccidiostat that Purina does not have. Maybe they were sensitive to it for some reason. I've never had Nutrena since it's made by Cargill and I have issues with them, but I read the labels. It has Amprolium PLUS erythopabate (sp?)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  5. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks everyone for your advice! I went to the feed store tonight, and lucky me they started carrying Purina this week! Woohoo!! I did a happy dance in the store. [​IMG]

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by