switching eggs under broody hen

crissycriss

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2012
Heflin Alabama
I have posted this in incubating and hatching egg forum but no replys so im posting here.
I have a BA thats gone broody.She has been setting on the nest for 4 nights and severl days.The temp the last few nights have been 31-32 F.
I have some eggs in the incubator that goes into lock down the 31st which is tomorrow night.I am thinking about switching eggs giving her the ones due to hatch Nov.3. She is only 7-8months old and her first time going broody.She is in the coop with 18 other chickens and 7ducks.The nest box is 24 inches off the ground. What are your thoughts on it?Would you risk doing this?Thanks for all your help!

hmm... I personally would not switch the eggs because it is a risk. Can't you just keep them and hatch them in the incubator?

Good luck
jumpy.gif
!

Yes i can move them to there hatcher and brood them inside i was just thinking they would do better with a hen mom.I also have 27 more eggs due to hatch on different dates through out Nov.Thanks for your reply!! Really would hate for something to happen to them now.

Sometimes you can put chicks under a broody and she will accept them - and sometimes not. You could try it, but watch very closely to make sure she doesn't reject the chicks if you do try. Her situation is not ideal for a broody, if chicks fall out or she leaves the nest with some ofteh chicks there is no way to get her back up there. You might try moving her at night with her current eggs to a better location. If she doesn't stay broody then she is probably not ready for hatching yet anyway.

The switching of eggs can work. The time she has been broody at hatch time is a little short. Its a tough call to make. If it were to work you get to see a mother hen at work and have less work yourself. As far as the outside temperatures, As long as they have a momma to warm them they will be fine.

I would try to move their nest to a lower spot. My daughter's broody hen hatched beautiful chicks, but would go up into the nest and leave the babies on the floor. They could not make it up to the nest and mama did not go down and stay with them. Anyway, they got cold and died, one by one. It was heartbreaking, as it does not take much to kill them. Please learn from our experience. It was her first hatch, so maybe she was too inexperienced.

Just wanted to thank you all for all your wisdom.I think i am going to put my eggs in my hatcher.Let my hen set her eggs that way it gives me more time to move her to a better place.Fingers crossed all goes well. Thanks again!

Just wanted to thank you all for all your wisdom.I think i am going to put my eggs in my hatcher.Let my hen set her eggs that way it gives me more time to move her to a better place.Fingers crossed all goes well. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom