Switching feed

Alby Farms

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2020
Hi there. I have been feeding my girls (10 months old and all laying) Dumor feed since they were born. But lately I have been hearing about Dumor not being as good a layer crumble, as a brand like Purina would be a lot better for the amount of poop in my chicken run/coop.

So if I decide to change my feed at some point, do I change the feed like you do with dogs and cats by gradually feeding them new food by mixing it together? Or do I just stop feeding them Dumor and start on Purina?

I do change the feed like when you change food for a dog. Not sure if this is what is recommended if they are the same feed just different brands.

I've been trying to research Dumor 16% layer feed and Dumor Organic 16% layer feed with no avail. Would love to know what you've been seeing about the brand. When we switched to Organic from Non-Organic, I mixed 50:50 old and new until old feed was gone and the flock is laying now better than they did before. Eggs seem to be healthier and colors are more solid. We also throw in some oyster shell, cracked corn and worms from time to time.

I've been trying to research Dumor 16% layer feed and Dumor Organic 16% layer feed with no avail. Would love to know what you've been seeing about the brand.
From what I've read and researched, DuMOR conventional feed is manufactured by Purina. Tags on bottom of bag is similar. Ingredients are different and manufactured to TSC specs.
I have only bought one 10 lb bag of DuMOR feed years ago, a Starter feed 20%. My Chicks ate it without any problems.

DuMOR Organic is manufactured by Nature's Best brand to TSC specs.
I don't feed Organic, but have checked labels on both and would buy either one.

I haven't researched or fed DuMOR Non-GMO feeds, so don't know who manufacturers it. GC

I tried to change the feed I give my turkeys by mixing it. EPIC FAIL! They picked out the new kind and it ended up all over the ground. They were NOT having it. (Color and pellet size was a bit different to is was easy for me to know which they were refusing to eat.) That said, you can try mixing it and see what happens. You might have better luck if both feeds are a crumble. I've seen several people post though that they just go straight to the new feed so that the birds CAN'T "sort" the new and old and only eat one.

I tried to change the feed I give my turkeys by mixing it. EPIC FAIL! They picked out the new kind and it ended up all over the ground. They were NOT having it. (Color and pellet size was a bit different to is was easy for me to know which they were refusing to eat.) That said, you can try mixing it and see what happens. You might have better luck if both feeds are a crumble. I've seen several people post though that they just go straight to the new feed so that the birds CAN'T "sort" the new and old and only eat one.
My chickens did this when I tried to ease them into a new food, so now any time I need to do a switch, which is rare, I simply swap 100% to the new feed to prevent any more mess.

My chickens did this when I tried to ease them into a new food, so now any time I need to do a switch, which is rare, I simply swap 100% to the new feed to prevent any more mess.
I would do the same if I wanted to switch mine. When they decided they didn't want the new food, I said "screw it" and just kept them on the old food. (It is MUCH easier to get anyway. But if I HAD to switch them, it would be "cold turkey". LOL)

I do change the feed like when you change food for a dog. Not sure if this is what is recommended if they are the same feed just different brands.
I've also done this with success. Adding a few cups new feed to their old feed everyday helps the transition go MUCH easier. My flock is currently migrating over to a organic no corn no soy layer feed since 3 have started to lay in last couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom