Switching out eggs under broody duck- will she hatch or reject them?

T-Amy

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 16, 2011
Woodhull, NY
Anyone have experience pulling the ol' switcheroo on a duck hen?

My almost 1 yr old Pekin has been broody for a few weeks now & is on ~20+ eggs. Only in the last couple of weeks, however, has she really been super dedicated to the nest; she left them before for hours so I think some got too chilled. I candled some of the eggs when she got up for a break the other day & a few do have veins in them but most do not.

My dilemma: I have 20 duck eggs in my incubator due 6/5 (in a week) & wondering if I can put them under her, switching out her eggs for these? Will she reject or accept them? Will she know what I'm doing & leave the nest altogether, thereby killing the ducks?

Not knowing if she's turning them or not, I don't know WHEN the right time to do it is- I suspect I'd need to do it before they're due to get in pip position a few days before hatch day?

I'd really prefer SHE brood them naturally than me since she'll likely be a better protector from the other adults?
Anyone have experience with this? Good or bad?

Hard to say, i did put some chicken eggs under a scovie who was not progressing with her nest she did take them on, but still waiting on the hatching result..

I would almost try when she isn't there too but their are no guarantees, i had to move a nest once, the duck abandoned it and another took her place, that said i am dealing with the super broody -Muscovy- Pekin are not well known for it and that is a disadvantage.

Best of luck!

thank you!! I may try it. Debating whether to do some under the broody chicken hen, too.... just in case broody momma duck isn't cooperative.

Back
Top Bottom