Switching to a new coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mrs918, Jul 25, 2011.

1. mrs918

mrs918 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    spokane,wa
    My DH and I have started converting an old wood shed and greenhouse into a new chicken run (shed) and coop (greenhouse). This will give our girls a ton more space, and be less visible/audible to neighbors. The greenhouse is now overgrown on the outside, so it will be nice and shady for them, but with some natural light still coming in, along with several vents for air.

My question is this- Do I need to acclimate them to the new set up? Or can I just put them in, show them the water and food and let them be?

Also, we plan on using the nest boxes from their current coop , will that help them know where to lay?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My question is this- Do I need to acclimate them to the new set up? Or can I just put them in, show them the water and food and let them be?

I'd move them to the new coop first and let them get used to the coop as home before I allowed them in the run. That way, they should learn to sleep in the coop and go in there just before dark. I'm assuming you want them to sleep in the coop and not in the run.

Also, we plan on using the nest boxes from their current coop , will that help them know where to lay?

It is not necessary but it won't hurt. I'd put a fake egg, maybe a golf ball, in the nests so they get the message.

I'd suggest you don't overthink it. Just put them in and let them get adjusted to it. They should really enjoy the extra room.

It is possible with the move that they may stop or slow down laying for a while until they do get used to the new place. Chickens in general are a bit wary of change. I sounds like a big upgrade so at the end of the day, you will all be happier.

3. mrs918

mrs918 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    spokane,wa
    Thanks for the advise [​IMG]

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I totally agree with that, I did the same for my chicken when I put them in thier new coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by