Switching to All Flock for my mixed flock?

Not shilling for tsc, but they carry Purina flock raiser crumble as a regular item in my area, likely yours as well.
and as comkmercial feeds go, Purina's Flock Raiser is one of the better options, nutritionally. Nor is the price (comparatively) outrageous - at least in my area, its solidly middle of the pack.

/edit I'm not shilling for TSC or Purina - I get my feed from the local mill, by way of a family owned feed store. but I won't deny that, at the pricepoint in the typical farm store, its likely to have the best guaranteed nutrition of the similarly priced bunch.

Last edited:
I am in the middle of integrating two sets of chickens - 3 are 10 weeks, 3 are a year and laying - well 2 are laying, one is on strike. I have bought the Purina All Flock crumbles to feed them all but I have a little left still of their current feed. In the hens’ feeder I have the pellets for laying hens that I’m hoping the hens eat up soon and in another smaller feeder I have starter feed I hope the chicks eat it up soon. Next to add is the All Flock. I’m wondering if it will hurt the chicks to eat any of the layer food since they will now be together, maybe starting tonight. Or should I dump it out and put in a plastic bags until we need it for all in a few months? And fill each with All Flock just to be safe.

I am in the middle of integrating two sets of chickens - 3 are 10 weeks, 3 are a year and laying - well 2 are laying, one is on strike. I have bought the Purina All Flock crumbles to feed them all but I have a little left still of their current feed. In the hens’ feeder I have the pellets for laying hens that I’m hoping the hens eat up soon and in another smaller feeder I have starter feed I hope the chicks eat it up soon. Next to add is the All Flock. I’m wondering if it will hurt the chicks to eat any of the layer food since they will now be together, maybe starting tonight. Or should I dump it out and put in a plastic bags until we need it for all in a few months? And fill each with All Flock just to be safe.
It'll be another 2 months (8 weeks) until the babies are old enough where any of the feed companies say they can have the layer pellets. Feeding them the pellets too soon, is too much calcium for them and can be harmful, especially their kidneys.
But the starter and the all flock are very similar in formula. Make sure you have oyster shell on the side so the layers can get enough calcium.

It'll be another 2 months (8 weeks) until the babies are old enough where any of the feed companies say they can have the layer pellets. Feeding them the pellets too soon, is too much calcium for them and can be harmful, especially their kidneys.
But the starter and the all flock are very similar in formula. Make sure you have oyster shell on the side so the layers can get enough calcium.
Thanks for your reply. I am going to swap it out. I looked and there’s still about 5 pounds of the layer pellets. I’ll also put out oyster shells. Need to figure a feeder for that. Does it have to be out of the littles’ reach or will they just leave it alone?

Thanks for your reply. I am going to swap it out. I looked and there’s still about 5 pounds of the layer pellets. I’ll also put out oyster shells. Need to figure a feeder for that. Does it have to be out of the littles’ reach or will they just leave it alone?
no, they'll experiment with it but they shouldn't gorge themselves on it.

Back
Top Bottom