Switching to Layer

AnnPann

Songster
Jun 29, 2022
Kansas
This has probably already been asked, but my search isn't turning up answer.

I have 4 hens who are laying. I also have 3 (18 weeks) who are at or almost at laying age (but no first eggs yet). One is a leghorn (so 1 week past appx earliest egg) and 2 are orpingtons (so 2 weeks shy of appx earliest egg).

I currently feed all of them grower pellets with free choice oyster grit. But the oyster is getting spilled all over the place by one of the hens (which is relatively new behavior and super annoying, not to mention expensive, and seems to have started with the change in feed), and the eggs seem to be more delicate since I switched them to grower feed.

Am I close enough that I can switch back to layer feed for everyone? Or at least do a 50/50 mix (grower/layer)?

Yes absolutely you can put all on layer feed. I transition about 14 weeks for my commercial high layers as they need to bulk up on calcium as their systems come into maturity.

Technically layer is bad for young chicks as the calcium is so high it causes unusual bone development. Also layer can be bad for roosters, long term (although I cull at 5 years and have no problems with the roosters on layer for that time period). It can be hard on the rooster's kidneys.

But laying hens need the highly absorbable calcium in layer feed. Placing them on it before point of lay helps them prepare for laying.

LofMc

Yes absolutely you can put all on layer feed. I transition about 14 weeks for my commercial high layers as they need to bulk up on calcium as their systems come into maturity.

Technically layer is bad for young chicks as the calcium is so high it causes unusual bone development. Also layer can be bad for roosters, long term (although I cull at 5 years and have no problems with the roosters on layer for that time period). It can be hard on the rooster's kidneys.

But laying hens need the highly absorbable calcium in layer feed. Placing them on it before point of lay helps them prepare for laying.

LofMc
That makes sense - thank you! No rooster here, but good to know for future. :)

I have 4 hens who are laying. I also have 3 (18 weeks) who are at or almost at laying age (but no first eggs yet). One is a leghorn (so 1 week past appx earliest egg) and 2 are orpingtons (so 2 weeks shy of appx earliest egg).

Am I close enough that I can switch back to layer feed for everyone?
I'll break from my usual advice and say that yes, it'll be fine. I'll still caution that layers will not need all the calcium in layer feed all the time - molt, slowed winter production, injury/illness, age, etc.

I know some of you would not agree with me, but I used Bsfl to help my chicken lays egg. Yes, we are used to use oyster shell when it comes to calcium supply, but having a try for this insect is not bad. So you as well might have a try.

New here, so bear with me.

Don't the BF Soldier Fly larvae have a lot of fat in them (in addition to calcium). I know they are much better than meal worms, but wouldn't the fat content be a concern vs. straight oyster shell?

Back
Top Bottom