swollen abdomen and limp comb...help!

johnbreit

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 23, 2015
yorktown heights ny
It's been about 2 weeks since my RIR has roosted with the other chickens. She sleeps in the nesting box. Her abdomen is very very hard and bloated. I checked her for being egg bound and she isn't.
She's not moving around much and had a very messy bottom. Her comb is now limp and drooping badly to the side.
Does anyone know of anything I can do!! I'm desperate.

How old is she?
If she has been this bad for two weeks there might nt be much that you can do.

It's been about 2 weeks since my RIR has roosted with the other chickens. She sleeps in the nesting box. Her abdomen is very very hard and bloated. I checked her for being egg bound and she isn't.
She's not moving around much and had a very messy bottom. Her comb is now limp and drooping badly to the side.
Does anyone know of anything I can do!! I'm desperate.
Probably what I call extremely egg bound, internal laying but none coming out----she just gets heavier and heavier until she can barely walk but then walks like a penguin when she does try to walk??? Could be water belly, but being you said Hard----I am thinking not. If its what I just describes---there is nothing you can do but take her out of her miseries. Sorry.

If she is not eating and drinking.......it doesn't sound good.
Sometimes these things just happen.
When was the last time she played an egg?
What breed is she?
What do you feed her?

Probably what I call extremely egg bound, internal laying but none coming out----she just gets heavier and heavier until she can barely walk but then walks like a penguin when she does try to walk??? Could be water belly, but being you said Hard----I am thinking not. If its what I just describes---there is nothing you can do but take her out of her miseries. Sorry.
i checked her for being egg bound , but didn't feel anything. and yes, she's waddling like a penguin. should i isolate her from the other chickens?

If she is not eating and drinking.......it doesn't sound good.
Sometimes these things just happen.
When was the last time she played an egg?
What breed is she?
What do you feed her?
i haven't seen her eat, but she is drinking. i feed her layer pellets and give her oyster shells and grit. i don't know the last time she laid an egg because she's with my 6 other girls

You could try soaking her for a while in a warm..not hot or cold..epsom salt bath.

Back
Top Bottom