Swollen abdomen, lethargic and weak hen

You're welcome. I hope she does well with the draining. I know you're in AU so I just don't know what type of antibiotics you have available over the counter - you may want to try your vet to see if they can give you anything to help her fight infection.

Please keep us posted on how she is doing.

Just an up date. She is still dragging her self around with her tail down and body high. We are having some sudden high temps so not too sure how she will fair. I have taken over 3.5 cups of fluid out over the last week and a bit and she has been ok with it.
Thank you all for the help and guidance. Chicken angles all of you.

:hugs I'm glad to hear she is still going.

Hot weather may make it worse, I'm sure you have a plan in place to help keep your flock as cool as you can. I try to change my water several times a day in hot weather, but some people are not around, so they place frozen water bottles in their water founts (sounds like a great idea). I also put out a small amount of "cool watery treats" like melon/cucumber. I am fortunate to have electricity in my coop and runs, so I use fans to stir the air.

Thank you for the update. You've done well in taking care of her, I hope she does just fine in the heat wave.

Pepper is still going but she is not getting any better. She will walk around bolt up right and she has lost almost all her condition.
I have drained 5 cups out of her over the last couple of weeks.
I don't know what else i can do.

I'm sorry to hear she is not improving:hugs

Has she stopped eating?
You are doing everything you can.
If she is not eating well, has lost weight/condition and you are having to drain her frequently, then you may need to consider putting her down.

gosh i see a few people with birds with this similar illness here maybe they ate some thing ..? like plastic.. ? or some thing they cant digest, i would give colloidal silver 1 dropper once a day,just to support their immune system, colloidal silver will help with any infection of any kind even the ones that are antibiotic resistant , i would give tuna water if they are not drinking , and see if the hen will eat some egg yolk or tuna..? just to get them eating . i wish all of you all the best of luck , kindest regards take care
Wonderful observation. Three of my caged RIR roosters consumed lots of styrofoam overnight, which blew into my back yard and landed against their coop. I noticed a large hunk of it next to their run as I prepared to feed them. I gave the boys - colloidal silver for a few days along with some tuna water for good measure; gratefully no negative repercussions ensued. All these good - recommendations were learned from BYC folks like yourself. Thanks family.

:hugs I'm glad to hear she is still going.

Hot weather may make it worse, I'm sure you have a plan in place to help keep your flock as cool as you can. I try to change my water several times a day in hot weather, but some people are not around, so they place frozen water bottles in their water founts (sounds like a great idea). I also put out a small amount of "cool watery treats" like melon/cucumber. I am fortunate to have electricity in my coop and runs, so I use fans to stir the air.

Thank you for the update. You've done well in taking care of her, I hope she does just fine in the heat wave.
Good show Wyorp Rock. you are truly blessed to have the electric air circulation and the cool treats should help tremendously. Maybe one day, we'll be fortunate enough to have the same. Till then...

Back
Top Bottom