Swollen Abdomen

Judes222

Hatching
Feb 4, 2015
Pemberton, BC
HI...
My hen has a huge and swollen abdomen and the feathers have disappeared where the belly is protruding. There were posts regarding this but are about 5 years old. I am wondering if there has been any developments or information updates regarding this condition. The previous posts didn't provide too much in the way of remedies but it does sound like a common condition in hens 2+ years old. Can anyone help regarding this? Thanks so much. I hate to see my girl in this way.

Judy in Pemberton.

There are a few conditions that cause this and there really isn't much that can be done for any of them. About all you can do is make the bird as comfortable as possible. This usually involves draining the fluid from the abdomen. This can make them much more comfortable, makes it easier to breath, and may buy them some time, but it just really depends on what the underlying cause is. It could be caused by internal laying or other reproductive tract problems, cancers/tumors, or other diseases of major organs such as the liver or kidneys, as well as problems with the heart/circulatory system that in turn causes fluid to build up in body cavities. The fluid can become infected and turn into peritonitis. Antibiotic's can help with that short term. If it's a pet or a bird you want to keep around as long as possible then it's often a good idea to get to an avian vet for an x-ray to get a little better idea what's going on inside.

We have dealt with this problem here quite a few times. I have gotten to the point that when I see a swollen belly like that, and especially when I see the bird is obviously not comfortable or is having trouble breathing or getting around, I put them down. I've had a few that I had drained a few times and they did feel better for a short time but the outcome is always the same in the end and these birds can really suffer towards the end. So I don't let it go on very long when I see it happening.

Last edited:
Thanks cafarmgirl.

It seems she still wants to socialize and she is eating and drinking a lot still and eliminating but it's not getting better. I will do as you say; keep her comfortable and see what happens.

Hi mymilliefleur,

How would I find out if it is an impacted oviduct? We have no vets that can check this out here. Her appetite is big still....

Judy

Back
Top Bottom