swollen ankles

MaineiacJay

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 9, 2013
Newport, New Hampshire
Ive got an easter egger cockerel with swollen ankles. both of them are swollen and the feet are stiff, i assume due to the swelling. there doesnt appear to be any scabs to indicate bumblefoot but we arent sure what it is.

they are in an indoor enclosure for the winter at my moms place because it is just too cold and the temporary coop we had wasnt really build for this much cold. so they are warm and eat and drink well and everyone else is doing great except this one guy. any ideas what this is or how to fix it? dont want him in pain. he is still eating and drinking, but does appear to have watery stool. we treated with corid powder when they went to the indoor coop (since they were going in with my moms 7 chickens). no other chickens appear to have any problems.

also, anyone in NH know of an avian vet in Sullivan County? or even around windsor VT area? just for future reference if this isnt treatable at home.

Shoot, you know what? I think it's frostbite... Just hit me. It's an obvious answer honestly, I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier....

If it is frost bite, is there anything I can do to help him out? I don't really want to put him down, but if it causes an infection (gangrene..) that could spread....

This is my first winter with chickens and I've never dealt with frostbite with any of my animals so I'm really at a loss :/

This was something he had when we moved them indoors, so frostbite is possible. Just wanted to clarify, whatever it is, it occurred while they were still in their outdoor enclosure.

That foot looks like frostbite to me. I've never seen ankles swollen like that in pictures I've seen, but maybe others who've seen it will chime in. To me it looks like he could lose all of the toes, so he will need extra care in the future. There is a recent thread where a hen lost both feet, and the people were going to help her learn to walk on her healed stumps. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/842760/frost-bitten-feet

The foot definitely looks frostbitten, though I'm not sure why the ankle would be swollen. It is likely that he will lose the toes, or even the entire foot.

I'm going to check other threads as well but if anyone could post some tips on how to help this guy heal - as best he can, at any rate - I would really appreciate it as I'm the primary care giver at this time. What can I do to alleviate the swelling and any discomfort? Are there any dietary supplements I should consider giving? Medications?

Any help is appreciated since I've never dealt with anything quite like this before. Thanks!

A baby aspirin (or 1/4-1/2 an adult aspirin) can be given twice a day, and metacam can be prescribed by your vet. With any ill chicken, I think it is always best to give some vitamins and probiotics, along with some high protein foods such as eggs or some good dry cat food, in addition to the flock raiser feed or layer feed that he is on. Plain neosporin or other brand of antibiotic ointment gently applied to the feet might help. Coconut oil is another option--don't massage the frostbitten areas or break any blisters.

Last edited:
Thanks, that helps. There's been no change. Mostly, I've been just keeping him clean and dry and giving him extra "treats" (which usually consist of whatever I'm having for dinner, lol). His interest in food hasn't diminished. He does TRY to walk but with his toes all stiff like they are, hobbling around is the best he can do. He struggles a little at first when you handle him but settles down once he realizes you have a secure grip and he's in no danger of falling/being dropped. He doesn't seem to mind having his legs coated. I have aspirin on hand so it's good to know I can give him some if he seems to be in pain (ty for that!).

I feel so sorry for this little guy and he's taking it all so well all things considered.

Just an update on Frosty the frostbitten roo: He lost his foot back to the ankle on his right leg and all the toes on his left foot. The swelling in his legs has gone down and he stumping around pretty well without the missing parts. He's strong and healthy. I'm keeping him separate from the others until they can go back outside. They're all getting a bit stir crazy being cooped up and since his primary defenses have been lost, I don't want to put him where he can't escape if the big roo decides to go after him.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Thanks for the update, and I'm glad he is doing well. Maybe you can make him some foot pads for his stumps to use to get around.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom