Swollen area above vent, missing feathers...

billnjenn

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Hey guys, i know this is probably somewhere on here but haven't been able to find it. Anyway, one of our plymouth rocks has a golfball sized swollen area above her vent. I have been searching for this but all i can find is swollen areas below the vent. We digitaly examined the inside, there is no egg, and it is definitely tissue inflammation immediately above the vent. There is no redness and no sign of infection. The poop is normal and she is otherwise fine. She is spending a lot of time in the nesting box, i think because she thinks she has to lay an egg. Is this from being pecked by the other hens, or maybe doing it to herself from calcium deficiency? Gimme your two cents...Thanks!! Billy

Last edited:
I have the same issue. There's a big red patch above the vent. This chicken is near the end of her moult -- feathers are coming back but not all there yet.

We got this chicken from a 100-chicken operation, maybe 3 weeks ago. Not certain if this inflamation is part of the moult or if it's indicative of anything else. I've fed her some olive oil (just in case) and given her a few baths to keep her rear-end clean.

I'll see if I can take a picture later tonight.

Back
Top Bottom