Swollen around the eyes

minipearl

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 13, 2010
I have a little Silkied bantam cochin hen that is 1 1/2 years old. Around her eyes are swelling. (Her sister passed away this past year due to the same thing except she had bumps on her chest)
I had her at the vet but she checked out clean other than this. He decided to try an antibiotic.
She has stopped eating and drinking as of yesterday.
I am considering trying Benadryl, at this point it can’t hurt. Has anyone ever seen this before? If so, can you give me some insight?
Thank you!
77243184-B1AC-48AF-A6D6-0D7BAEF27328.jpeg
2FF2EB50-0314-436D-88B2-5A02A7F06BE9.jpeg

Is there a bad odor? Do you see anything inside her eyes when you open them? Respiratory sinus diseases can cause swollen eyes with bubbles or sticky drainage. This may progress to pus. Cleaning eyes with saline or eye wash, and applying Terramycin eye ointment or other antibiotic drops or ointment twice daily may help. Tylosin and a few other antibiotics given in water or orally will treat symptoms of mycoplasma or MG. Benadryl has been used to treat an allergic reaction to a bee sting, but I would not use it for a respiratory disease.

Is there a bad odor? Do you see anything inside her eyes when you open them? Respiratory sinus diseases can cause swollen eyes with bubbles or sticky drainage. This may progress to pus. Cleaning eyes with saline or eye wash, and applying Terramycin eye ointment or other antibiotic drops or ointment twice daily may help. Tylosin and a few other antibiotics given in water or orally will treat symptoms of mycoplasma or MG. Benadryl has been used to treat an allergic reaction to a bee sting, but I would not use it for a respiratory disease.
No respiratory issues, her breathing is perfect, no smell, no discharge.
The vet and I seem to think it could possibly be genetics as she has a clean bill of health otherwise. I am just so puzzled because of her sister with the same type of issue except it was on her neck. No other chickens I have had her with has this issue, just this breed.
Here are pics of her sister a week or so before she passed away.

Attachments

• ADB6AC9B-133B-441E-BC99-114E9829F413.png
    ADB6AC9B-133B-441E-BC99-114E9829F413.png
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • F2425A7E-5B99-426F-990A-6414DE787A4F.png
    F2425A7E-5B99-426F-990A-6414DE787A4F.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom