Swollen "Cheek"?? Is she okay?

Pentatonchix

Songster
Aug 11, 2020
Today has been really rainy today and when I brought Runt inside, I saw this swollen part on her cheek. It sticks out more than it looks and there are no feathers there. Is she okay? What should I do? I'm really worried... Thanks, PM
IMG_4055.JPG

Update: it's now on both cheeks...should I separate her? Sorry for the not so great photos...
IMG_6199.PNG

IMG_6199.PNG
IMG_6193.JPG
IMG_6194.JPG
IMG_6195.JPG
IMG_6196.JPG
IMG_6197.JPG
IMG_6198.JPG
IMG_6199.PNG

She may have a fungal infection of her skin. Have you checked for any lice or mites? She also could be rubbing her head on something, causing feathers to rub off and the skin getting irritated.

She may have a fungal infection of her skin. Have you checked for any lice or mites? She also could be rubbing her head on something, causing feathers to rub off and the skin getting irritated.
Thank you! How would I search?

Update: it's now on both cheeks...should I separate her? Sorry for the not so great photos...
Look inside her beak just to make sure there's no canker or lesions.

To me, it looks like she's being picked at. From what I can tell by those close ups, it looks like there's intact feather shafts in the skin from broken feathers and her muff feathers looks worn like they've been picked at.

I've never had a muffed or bearded bird, but do see others report that it seems to attract unwanted attention - birds plucking at it.
If there's no lesions inside the beak, the Observe the interactions of your flock to see if she's getting picked on. Could be during roosting so take time to watch them all go to roost at night.

Back
Top Bottom