Swollen chicken face

It is hard to know sometimes what causes a swollen face. It is good to try and rule out a respiratory disease, such as MG which can cause sinus infection and swelling of the face. Usually, there may be another symptom, such as bubbles or gunk in an eye, nasal drainage, or crackly breathing. As @Weeg posted, sometimes a sting can cause swelling. A peck wound might also cause it, and I have seen where tumors can also affect this area.

What is MG and how can I rule it out? His eye his more watery than usual and the lid is not where it should be. How would I tell if he had eye bubbles? His breathing is fine, he gets gook in his nose area all the time that I semi-regularly clean out...

Other than looking funny he's actimg normal. How would I tell if its a tumor? Thank you!!

Hmmm interesting that the swollen side is cooler than the other. Generally in a localized infection type situation the area is swollen and WARMER, so I guess I would start looking at other causes than local infection/sting type situation. The watery eye could be a symptom of the problem or a reaction to irritant from the swelling. Is the eye able to close normally? I’m by far not an expert at chicken diseases so hopefully someone better will chime in. I’m sorry your bird is ill.

What is MG and how can I rule it out? His eye his more watery than usual and the lid is not where it should be. How would I tell if he had eye bubbles? His breathing is fine, he gets gook in his nose area all the time that I semi-regularly clean out...

Other than looking funny he's actimg normal. How would I tell if its a tumor? Thank you!!
Bubbles in the eye are just that—small bubbles or foam in a watery eye. Here is a picture:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7190888/width/350/height/700
Mycoplasma (MG) can respond to a few antibiotics from a vet or obtained online for pigeons. Testing can be done though a vet, your state poultry lab, or a lab such as Zoologix.
Tumors may be a rare cause of swelling. You wouldn’t probably know unless you get a necropsy or it grows very large. Here is an article about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Ok! So! I researched into a bunch of these infections and avian flu is common in waterfowland can be transferred through feces. I took poupou to the park a couple days ago and there were DROVES of geese and droppings everywhere. Poupou is a solo rooster and this was really his only oppurtunity to get an infection. So I'm thinking its likely avian flu, PRAYING its a low pathogen variety. Again, he has virtually no symptoms other than the puffines above his eye.
Does this sound right? What can I do to help him?

Influenzas are viruses. There isn’t much you can do for viruses besides supportive care-providing adequate food,water,shelter, which I’m sure you are already doing. Influenzas tend to be HIGHLY contagious however- to the point where in some cases all infected flocks are put down to stop transmission, so if this is a possibility of what your bird has he should be quarantined(you said solo rooster correct?) and that includes doing strict bio security so YOU don’t inadvertently spread disease.

Now that you mention it the affected area is very pale compared to the rest. What would that mean?
It could mean a disease but if he is acting fine than I don't know, but if the reason of the swelling is because of a bee sting I feel like it would bother him does he react when you touch the area.

Back
Top Bottom