Swollen chicken feet with white bumps

Swollen hocks does sound more like MS than gout. I think that TwoCrows has had experience with that, but other than using antibiotics such as Tylan, I am not sure how curable it is. Do any of your other chickens show any swelling in ankles or hocks? Both MS and gout may be diagnosed after desth with a necropsy, if you contact your state poultry lab.

Swollen hocks does sound more like MS than gout. I think that TwoCrows has had experience with that, but other than using antibiotics such as Tylan, I am not sure how curable it is. Do any of your other chickens show any swelling in ankles or hocks? Both MS and gout may be diagnosed after desth with a necropsy, if you contact your state poultry lab.
Hi,
The other chickens seem fine, they do not have any swelling in their feet. They eat like beasts and run all over the place :)

Oh I apologize I’m new to having chickens and I thought her ankles were “hocks”. Her Hocks were not ever swollen just her feet and ankles :)

Oh no problem. I hope that you can help her lead a comfortable life. Whatever she has, most of the ones we have discussed do not have a good outlook.

Hi,
I just wanted to post an update today. The chicken is feeling better today and her feet swelling has gone down some more. We took her to a Vet (yay) and everyone should know that Articular Gout is what the diagnosis vet gave her. He also said that it is something she will just have to live with and we can give her supportive care: Lower protein feed and vitamins in her water is “a big thing” because she has lower protein feed. He did say me popping the ulcers that came to the surface was fine and to use a an ambosole type product topically applied to the area that will numb the pain a little before I give her a little prick next time. Also, he noted that most chickens only have a short life span of laying (about a year) before they are culled, but because people like to keep them longer and most people usually want more chickens he recommended a large breeder that is an expert in genetics for the future. I asked specifically about M.S. and The vet said he could tell even without lab tests she most likely does not have MS because she is not in any respiratory distress and appears otherwise healthy and the other chickens are healthy. So in short the girls kidneys are not great and that’s a genetic defect. Supportive care and vitamins. Whew! I learned a lot I hope someone else did too and thanks everyone for your help :)

Last edited:
Greetings SueHasChickens,

That is so awesome!

I am really glad your girl is doing good. Thank you for the updates and the details regarding your treatments.

I for one have certainly learned something. Needling those pustules does help in the healing! I will add that to my notes.

Keep up the good work. :clap

God Bless :)

Thanks for the update, and it is good that you visited the vet for help. We always learn new things from situations like this. MS may cause little or no respiratory symptoms, unlike MG, which is primarily a respiratory disease. You sure are doing a good good trying to learn and help him. Let us know how he gets along.

Thanks for the update, and it is good that you visited the vet for help. We always learn new things from situations like this. MS may cause little or no respiratory symptoms, unlike MG, which is primarily a respiratory disease. You sure are doing a good good trying to learn and help him. Let us know how he gets along.

Thank you, I am so glad we went to the Vet. It’s nice to know and not guess your doing the correct thing :) This forum has been so valuable.

Greetings SueHasChickens,

That is so awesome!

I am really glad your girl is doing good. Thank you for the updates and the details regarding your treatments.

I for one have certainly learned something. Needling those pustules does help in the healing! I will add that to my notes.

Keep up the good work. :clap

God Bless :)

Back
Top Bottom