Swollen chicken foot NOT bumblefoot?

Katakornchicks

Songster
Oct 6, 2021
I have a hen that has a bad limp when she walks and has for some time. The bottom of one of her foot pads is very swollen. We at first thought she must have bumblefoot so several months ago we attempted bumblefoot surgery. However, she never had the signature black scab on the bottom of her foot. Sure enough, once we cut it open there was no infection, no big yellow hard bits. Just all white squishy material. She has since completely healed from that surgery, but her foot problems persist. What is wrong with her? Should I cut it open again to relieve some of the pressure and swelling?

Attachments

• 20220412_235902.jpg
    20220412_235902.jpg
    680.6 KB · Views: 34
I have a hen who had a hard, swollen foot pad with no characteristic bumblefoot scab. Eventually the swelling moved to top of her foot between toes. Then the skin on top of foot failed and the wound started to drain. It has been a long process (going on a year)…not sure what I would/could have done differently to speed it along. Wishing you luck! But agree that if quality of life seems ok, let it be. I’ve been using same approach.

Back
Top Bottom