swollen eye, help!

purr

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
east freetown, ma
my polish roo has a swollen eye, I think he injured it somehow cause the other eye is fine.
anyone know what kind of antibiotic is good for eyes?

You can get terramycin ointment at a feed store that is for eyes. I hope it's nothing more than an injury. Keep your eye on the rest of the flock because the flock I was tending (26 bantams) at a fall festival started off with one bird having a swollen eye and soon after others got them as well and a serious respiratory illness soon reared it's ugly head. Don't want to alarm you. Just letting you know my experience so you will know to be alert. I took home one little cockeral who had a terribly swollen eye and tried treating it myself with terramycin ointment but it didn't help. I ended up taking him to the vet and he improved (with 4 different antibiotics!) but lost the sight in his one eye.

thank you I'll keep a close eye on them and I'll go get the terramycin tomorrow when the feed store opens.I wonder if walgreens would have it.

I just found the ointment the vet gave me for the dog it has some in it but its called Neomycin it is an eye ointment though

Remote possibility the bird has eye worms. Get some VetRX from TSC, Co-Op or feed store and follow directions for eye worms. I would most definately continue the Terramycin as directed. Most common problem is infection, either bacterial or viral.

Rinse the eye with Saline solution and apply the eye ointment the vet gave you. I've used the same ointment to treat everything from the dog to my kids to my chickens. Just got a new tube from the vet when some of my chicks started getting only the left eye swollen and infected. She also told me I could also use Neosporin in their eye. It took about two weeks for my two sick-eyed chicks to clear up and I kept them separated from the rest because it seemed contagious.

I originally found four sick chicks - all with left eye swollen closed and infected but two also had a massive infection/growth in roof of mouth and could not close mouth. I had to cull those two. The other two mainly had the eye problem with just a little bit of crud in crack of roof of mouth so I cleaned that out wih q-tips and/or toothpick and shoved Neosporin up into crack. Both chicks made a full recovery and were reunited with the flock after two weeks. No one esle has come down sick.

Be sure and check the roof of the mouth. I think the sinuses, when infected, drain there and can block it up.

thank you everyone. The eye looks better this morning it was open and not closed shut. Washing the eye 3 times a day and putting the ointment on seems to be working. I'll keep a close watch on the others in my flock so far they are fine.

Back
Top Bottom