Swollen eye in quail! Possible Coryza? Help

Lemon88

Songster
Nov 25, 2018
1) Male coturnix quail, healthy weight, about a year and a half old.
2) Very swollen eye with discharge, other eye less swollen but still with discharge. Nasal discharge as well i think?
3) I handle them daily and i only noticed last night? Could it have happened that quickly?
4) All of my other quail appear perfectly healthy
5) There was a tiny bit of blood around the eye/nostril area
6) I have no idea how they could have gotten coryza, seeing as they have had NO contact with any other birds. Could it transmit througg the air from wild birds? Or did he just get seriously pecked by his friends for some reason?
7) Eating and drinking normal
8) Normal poop from what i have seen
9) I have cleaned the eyes and nose and put triple antibiotic around them
10 ) i will be going to the feed store for avian antibiotics today, and would like to treat entirely myself if possible.
11) I will get a picture ASAP
12) Rabbit hutch with aspen shavings bedding

He was immediately separated from the others, but i am worried about transmission to them. How contagious is it? Could i accidentally transmit it to my pet finch? I read something about carriers? Will i have to put this little guy down? These quail are entirely for pets and i love them and wish none of this happened 😭

EDIT: Now i have read more about coryza and it sounds super deadly and scary?? I dont know what to do! Is there anything else it could be?

Last edited:
Very swollen eye with discharge, other eye less swollen but still with discharge. Nasal discharge as well i think?
There was a tiny bit of blood around the eye/nostril area

I don't know a lot about Quail, so hopefully others will chime in.
Can you post some photos of him and his eye?
Have you introduced new birds recently?
Was he housed by himself or ?

You mention a tiny bit of blood around the eye/nostril - could he have been fighting, got injured somehow, a scratch or poke to the eye?

Infectious Coryza is a respiratory disease, generally you would also see some symptoms like coughing/sneezing, etc. Coryza is treated with sulfa drugs. You would need to order those online. Most antibiotics have been taken off store shelves.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-issues-and-keeping-your-quail-healthy.67379/

Hard to know without seeing it. I would first start out by cleaning and flushing the eye. Press out any pus or debris from the eye and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin.
Observe him for other symptoms and see that he's eating/drinking well.

A swollen eye can also be caused by MG, another more common respiratory disease. Do you notice a bad odor from the face? Coryza is mostly a disease of chickens and does have a bad odor. Certain bacterial infections, such as an infected eye from pecking or something getting into the eye may smell bad as well.

A swollen eye can also be caused by MG, another more common respiratory disease. Do you notice a bad odor from the face? Coryza is mostly a disease of chickens and does have a bad odor. Certain bacterial infections, such as an infected eye from pecking or something getting into the eye may smell bad as well.
Just went and checked on him (hes quarantined and in the garage because its very hot outside) and hes still pretty active (fought me trying to pick him up and stuff). The eye didnt smell at all. Heres a picture of both eyes.

Attachments

• 20200906_121043.jpg
    20200906_121043.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200906_121049.jpg
    20200906_121049.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 62
His breathing sounds a bit wheezy i think? Im really worried about the little guy. His name is Bee 🐝💕

(Sorry for so many responses)
Im really worried about all of my birds. I do not want to have to cull anyone (i dont know if i could, ive raised these guys from babies and adore them). How should i go about treatment? I will be going to the feed store to get antibiotics today. Going to look for Baytril i believe?

I don't know a lot about Quail, so hopefully others will chime in.
Can you post some photos of him and his eye?
Have you introduced new birds recently?
Was he housed by himself or ?

You mention a tiny bit of blood around the eye/nostril - could he have been fighting, got injured somehow, a scratch or poke to the eye?

Infectious Coryza is a respiratory disease, generally you would also see some symptoms like coughing/sneezing, etc. Coryza is treated with sulfa drugs. You would need to order those online. Most antibiotics have been taken off store shelves.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-issues-and-keeping-your-quail-healthy.67379/

Hard to know without seeing it. I would first start out by cleaning and flushing the eye. Press out any pus or debris from the eye and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin.
Observe him for other symptoms and see that he's eating/drinking well.
Just posted photos, sorry i didnt have any earlier! He has been housed with the same birds his whole life, and they usually get along very well. He hasnt been introduced to any new birds other than the ones i hatched out myself a few months ago. I have no idea how hed get sick qithout any contact with other poultry. Thats why im worried he was pecked at. I have cleaned the pus out of his eyes and applied antibiotic ointment. The one eye seems a bit better today, but the super swollen one looks about the same.

Just applied more antibiotic to his eye and then noticed another quail had a bit of eye discharge. Getting very worried.

His breathing sounds a bit wheezy i think? Im really worried about the little guy. His name is Bee 🐝💕
(Sorry for so many responses)
Im really worried about all of my birds. I do not want to have to cull anyone (i dont know if i could, ive raised these guys from babies and adore them). How should i go about treatment? I will be going to the feed store to get antibiotics today. Going to look for Baytril i believe?
You likely will not find antibiotics at the feed store. You can order them online (links below).
Tylosin or Baytril will treat symptoms of respiratory disease like Mycoplasma.
Infectious Coryza symptoms are treated with Sulfa Antibiotics.

Keep cleaning out the eye and remove all the pus you can (see video below). Hard to know what he has if it's MG or IC.

https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Update:
I have been gently squeezing the eye to remove pus and applying antiobiotic in the eye multiple times per day. The swelling has gone down a bit! I have ordered the antibiotics and they should be here within the next few days. No one else appears sick, and I have disinfected all of the hutches (with diluted germicidal bleach and veterinary grade hydrogen peroxide disinfectant). Im hoping all of these measures are enough to keep my birdies safe and healthy.

I worry about transfering it to my zebra finch. Will they become carriers and I will have to be careful of contamination for the rest of their lives?

Back
Top Bottom