Swollen eye, lethargic, no appetite

QbnMom305

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2018
Hello all, woke up this morning with a sick Americana who has a swollen shut eye, no appetite and lethargic. She’s just sitting on my lap, not wanting to move. Ms. Poppycock is a few weeks old and has two other hen sister who are unaffected.

Any ideas and/or solutions are greatly welcomed!

Attachments

• B302376C-A821-48C1-BD96-6BF7105E87C8.jpeg
    B302376C-A821-48C1-BD96-6BF7105E87C8.jpeg
    443.7 KB · Views: 8
Is she sneezing or having any drainage or bubbles from her eyes or nostril? Mycoplasma (MG) is a common respiratory disease that may affect chicks, causes sinus infection, and is spread by a carrier or sometimes, through hatching eggs. Older birds can pass it on if they have been exposed. It may respond to an antibiotic Tylan 50 injectable, available in feed stores, cattle medicines. Give 1/4 ml orally 2-3 times a day for 5 weeks. Make sure that she is drinking plenty of water, and electrolytes may help. Hope she gets better.

Thank you so much! She’s not experiencing any of the symptoms you cited, she’s just not eating. She’s only “napping” and the eye is dry, it’s just swollen and she’s just sitting on me... poor baby.

How does her poop look? Any runny poops or blood? Coccidiosis can be common in young chicks, especially if they are low on immunity. I would get her drinking by dipping her beak, offer wet feed and some chopped egg. Vitamins and electrolytes in the water or given orally can be helpful.

How does her poop look? Any runny poops or blood? Coccidiosis can be common in young chicks, especially if they are low on immunity. I would get her drinking by dipping her beak, offer wet feed and some chopped egg. Vitamins and electrolytes in the water or given orally can be helpful.

You know... I haven’t seen her poop and I was holding her now for about an hour and she didn’t poop. Thanks for the electrolytes tip. I’m gonna give her some now!

Back
Top Bottom