Swollen eye, lower eyelid drooping

Kaiyafitness

Chirping
Apr 17, 2021
Hi everyone,

I got this new pure bred Silkie pullet (5 months old) yesterday and have since noticed it has swelling around the lower part of the eye and eyelid dropping, in both eyes, and maybe a bit of clear discharge but nothing noticeable that I have picked up, she also closes her eyes frequently. The other hen that came with it as a pair doesn’t not have this however. The hen seems to be eating and active, completely acting normal, and I have not noticed any sneezing or other symptoms.

What does it look like and what would you recommend for me to do?

Thanks so much
Kaiya
FBF82A52-E111-4CD1-A676-F1CA0F421788.jpeg

Keep the newbies housed away from existing flocks for a few weeks for observation.

Both eyes look like that? Could be an indication of respiratory illness like Mycoplasma. Do you see bubbles in the eyes?
General care is to clean/flush eyes with saline, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eyes a couple of times a day.

No one can tell you what to do, you have choices I suppose - You can choose to observe, try to treat, consider returning the birds or cut your losses and cull.

IF you are dealing with respiratory disease like MG, the bird(s) will remain carriers for life and the disease can be spread to other birds that you have.

Here's some reading about diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Thank you for your response! Yes both of the eyes look like that, I’ve started giving an eye ointment and read that doxycycline is effective at treating so should I give this to all the chickens that it has been in contact with (only one other and the hen she came with). There is no bubbling or foaming in the eye as seen in the imagines online, although I have heard a few small sneezes.

Thanks
Kaiya
Keep the newbies housed away from existing flocks for a few weeks for observation.

Both eyes look like that? Could be an indication of respiratory illness like Mycoplasma. Do you see bubbles in the eyes?
General care is to clean/flush eyes with saline, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eyes a couple of times a day.

No one can tell you what to do, you have choices I suppose - You can choose to observe, try to treat, consider returning the birds or cut your losses and cull.

IF you are dealing with respiratory disease like MG, the bird(s) will remain carriers for life and the disease can be spread to other birds that you have.

Here's some reading about diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Thank you for your response! Yes both of the eyes look like that, I’ve started giving an eye ointment and read that doxycycline is effective at treating so should I give this to all the chickens that it has been in contact with (only one other and the hen she came with). There is no bubbling or foaming in the eye as seen in the imagines online, although I have heard a few small sneezes.

Thanks
Kaiya
I would only use the Doxy when there's clear signs of symptoms/sick birds.

Back
Top Bottom