Swollen Eye & Pox?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brandoncakes, Jan 12, 2014.

1. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    I have a buff cochin bantam who just finished a bad moult. Her feathers are growing back really pale, and she kind of smells like a dog. She now has a bunch of scabby bumps all over her comb, wattles, and ear lobes. She also has a crack in the top of her beak near her nostrils. Her eye is swollen as well. We just had a hen with eye worms, and we were forced to pull out a huge white chunk from her eye. Do you think she has the same thing? we noticed there is a small white chunk in her eye now, but it's not nearly half as big as the other hen. What should I do??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The spots on the comb, wattles, and eye are fowl pox, I am pretty sure. She may have developed a secondary infection to that, or she could have either eyeworm or a respiratory infection. Eyeworm is very rare, and many times is mistaken for a respiratory infection such as mycoplasma (CRD.) There is a notorious YouTube video of a guy supposedly removing an eyeworm from a chicken, when more likely he is just removing solidified pus from the eye of a chicken with mycoplasma. You my well have had eyeworm, and if so, this one may have it also. Look inside her beak for any yellow patches that can be a sign of wet fowl pox. Here is a link on fowl pox: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by