Swollen eye

whychickens2

Chirping
Sep 20, 2016
florida
Hi i need help please. My girly has a swollen eye and some weird brown thing on her beak at the end of her comb. Shes not sneezing or anything. She did have mites pretty bad three weeks ago that have been treated. Any ideas?

Have you tried to put anything on this eye?
how long has it been like this?

Someone this week had a respiratory disease infecting a chick, probably coryza, and the chick had a little "horn" growing out of her beak between the nostrils. When they broke it off, there was pus underneath it. I would get some Tylan 50 injectable, and give her 1 ml twice a day by mouth for days. Give more if she is over 7 pounds. She looks very pale and weak. Make sure that she is drinking water, and feed her some watery feed with a tsp of plain yogurt each day. Chopped egg would be good to tempt her to eat. What are you using to treat the mites? A mite infestation usually requires something like permethrin spray or dust, or sevin dust, used every 7 days for a few times.

Two of my girls had very swollen crusty eyes over a week ago. I sent a pic to the vet and he prescribed teremyacin (a powder that I put in their water). We are on day 8 and they are both looking much better!!

Someone this week had a respiratory disease infecting a chick, probably coryza, and the chick had a little "horn" growing out of her beak between the nostrils. When they broke it off, there was pus underneath it. I would get some Tylan 50 injectable, and give her 1 ml twice a day by mouth for days. Give more if she is over 7 pounds. She looks very pale and weak. Make sure that she is drinking water, and feed her some watery feed with a tsp of plain yogurt each day. Chopped egg would be good to tempt her to eat. What are you using to treat the mites? A mite infestation usually requires something like permethrin spray or dust, or sevin dust, used every 7 days for a few times.
I think this could be the same:

Ive been treating the mites with poultry dust. Both eyes are the same but with no discharge. She is acting normal other than this??

With the other side of th page in the picture just posted, I would have to agree that it is probably dry fowl pox. Do not disturb the scabs, since that may spread the pox. I would pick up a tube of Terramycin EyeOintment at your feed store (you will have to ask for it) and apply it to her eye twice a dayto help prevent a secondary infection. Ifyou cannot get that, get Vetericyn EyeGel. There is no real treatment for pox, which is a virus spread by mosquitoes. It lasts about 3 weeks, but it can go through the flock for weeks and weeks. Getting her to eat and drink enough will be important. I would get a flashlight and look inside her beak for yellowish patches in her mouth and throat that would be signs of wet fowl pox, a much more serious disease.

Back
Top Bottom