Swollen eyelid

RosieDaisy

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2022
Hi all! New chicken tender here with a rhode island red who has been dealing with her right upper eyelid swollen. Otherwise, she is doing fine and showing no other issues. We have used saline wash out and applied veticyn ointment which had no improvement so we then applied terrimycin ointment for two weeks. It did bring the swelling down alot and took the redness out for the most part. We stopped after 2 weeks as we saw improvement and didnt want her to become immune to it. Well, a week later, its starting to look swollen again! Its not red so much tho. Today, we washed it out with saline per the tractor supply advice. Will do that twice a day for 2 days and then apply terrimycin ountment on the 3rd day per their advice. Anyone have any advice or has had this issue?? Thank you for reading my post 😊 pic 1 is from 2 weeks ago and pic 2 from this morning.

Attachments

• 20220817_183228.jpg
    20220817_183228.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 24
It could be a respiratory sinus infection called mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. You could try giving Tylan 50 injectable orally or try the generic Tylosin powder in her water for 5 days, to see it helps her symptoms.

Is it possible that something is stinging her? It kind of looks like my roo when he got stung by a yellow jacket.

Thank you for your reply. We noticed the swelling July 21st, got worse by July 26. Swelling went down by August 3rd and we stopped treating her August 9th to see if ot would continue to clear up but it looks like its swelling up again. So its been going on almost a month now 😒 no one else is showing the same issues so im at a loss 🙄

I have a question regarding putting the powder in her water. Could i put it in the waterer that they all drink out of or will that be detrimental for the others??

Swelling above the eye can be from anything from a disease to a foreign object in her eye.

Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or also know as Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD) - While MG is a possibility, it isn’t always the cause of the swelling around or above the eye. If the eye is bubbly or has conjunctivitis or if your bird is presenting respiratory infection symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose or coughing, then it very well could be MG causing this. If it’s just the swelling above her eye, without other symptoms, then it may be something else causing it.

Cancerous tumor - It’s very unlikely that this could be the cause of it, but I’m still adding it as a possibility. Diseases that cause tumorous growths randomly are Marek’s Disease or Avian Leukosis Virus (ALV). While Marek’s Disease is almost always fatal, ALV isn’t usually, causing minimal deaths in some weakened birds. The only way to know if this is the cause, is to get testing done at your local government extension or by purchasing a sample kit online to get blood and a PCR.

Abscess - Just like any living animal that’s living on this earth, chickens can also get abscesses from injuries or obstructions, it’s a lot more common than you think. There’s no way to know if it’s an abscess unless you poke it with a needle first. If you see hardened or liquid bloody pus, than it’s an abscess from a possible injury or obstruction like food or debris.

Sting - Very rarely to chickens and other poultry get stung as they usually just eat whatever insect that they see, but it still happens— especially if you get a lot of wasp visitors or keep bees for honey. There’s not much you can do for a sting honestly. You’ll just have to let it heal on its own, which it will usually within a week or so.

I hope this helps you!

Tylosin is an antibiotic, and it should not be put in the water of all chickens is only one is sick. Tylan 50 injectable can be given orally 0.25 ml per pound 3 times a day, but if you use the powder in the water, I would separate her during the day inside a wired dog crate with food and the treated water. Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days. Here is where to find tylosin powder:
https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds

Some feed stores sell the Tylan 50 injectable and syringes for withdrawing it from the vial. Remove the needle to give it orally.

Back
Top Bottom