Swollen eyelids

Mamagirl3

Songster
May 1, 2022
Southern Missouri
Hen with swollen eyelids, top more than bottom on both eyes. No other symptoms.
NO. ->>
drainage
Discharge from nostrils
Diarrhea
None on others in flock

Eating normal and free ranging daily with flock. Acting normal! Been this way almost 3 weeks. Not worse, not better. They are not swollen shut.. but definitely swollen. I do not know what to do for her? Thank you.

Hen with swollen eyelids, top more than bottom on both eyes. No other symptoms.
NO. ->>
drainage
Discharge from nostrils
Diarrhea
None on others in flock

Eating normal and free ranging daily with flock. Acting normal! Been this way almost 3 weeks. Not worse, not better. They are not swollen shut.. but definitely swollen. I do not know what to do for her? Thank you.

Photos?

If it's been going on for 3 weeks...not sure what it is. Have you treated her eyes with anything, cleaned them or applied ointment?

No ma'am. Nothing. They look clean. The top lid pooches out pretty good. And she seems normal otherwise.
Will try to get a pic... have to go down to coop. WOW.. just had a thought! She looks like someone when they first wake up after sleeping hard.. eyes poofy! Hahaha

Photos?

If it's been going on for 3 weeks...not sure what it is. Have you treated her eyes with anything, cleaned them or applied ointment?
Excuse her powdered look! Earlier in the day we had cleaned nest boxes and put in DE as well as adding more dirt and DE to their bathing tub. She always has to check out anything new i do.. so she powdered herself i guess?? Haha
20240524_003234.jpg
20240524_003241.jpg
20240524_003244.jpg

Attachments

• 20240524_003234.jpg
    20240524_003234.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 1
They are a bit puffy aren't they.

Have you noticed if she has any lice or mites?

I'd take a look inside the beak just to make sure there's nothing going on in there - look for mucous, yellow or white pasty material that would indicate canker.

Not sure what would be causing the eyes to look like that. You can put a bit of Terramcyin eye ointment into the eyes and on the surrounding tissue to see if that helps. When you apply the ointment, look for any small wounds or bug bites - perhaps she's been stung by something.

Back
Top Bottom