Swollen eyes, dirt in nostrils, and smelly heads.

The Birb King

Bird is the word
Dec 10, 2022
Earth
I feel like it's just nonestop disease with my Seramas. A few weeks ago one of my serama hens had swollen eyes and droopy wings. I put terramycin on the eyes and vetrx in her mouth. She's completely better now. Then I realized at least one of my Serama hens has roundworms. I found them in the poop, but only one hen has been showing signs of worms. I dewormed them, but I'm not sure if it worked or not. Now 3 of my 6 Serama hens, the one that has worms included, had swollen eyes, dirt clogging their nostrils, and their heads in general smelled really bad. The one with the worms still acts the most sick, but they all are a little less active than normal and struggled to breath a bit. I wiped the dirt off their nostrils then my hands smelled bad. I think its some kind of respiratory infection. So yesterday when I noticed it I gave them all terramycin in their eyes, and vetrx into the mouths. Same with the other hen that was sick a few weeks ago. They seem a little better today and don't smell quite as bad, but I don't think they are completely better. I'm just so tired of my seramas constantly being sick and having to treat them. I clean their coop often, but how to I prevent disease in general. 2 of the Serama hens are also sitting on eggs, and I really don't want the chicks to get sick when they hatch.

Last edited:
This might be caused by coryza or mycoplasma infection.

Could you post some pictures of their eyes?

I would not breed from these birds and even abstain to aquire others as the above mentioned conditions and particularly mycoplasma, are treatable but chronic and very contagious.

Infectious Coryza in Chickens - Poultry - MSD Veterinary Manual https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/infectious-coryza/infectious-coryza-in-chickens

Mycoplasma synoviae Infection in Poultry - Poultry - MSD Veterinary Manual https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-in-poultry

Last edited:
This might be caused by coryza or mycoplasma infection.

Could you post some pictures of their eyes?

I would not breed from these birds and even abstain to aquire others as the above mentioned conditions and particularly mycoplasma, are treatable but chronic and very contagious.

Infectious Coryza in Chickens - Poultry - MSD Veterinary Manual https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/infectious-coryza/infectious-coryza-in-chickens

Mycoplasma synoviae Infection in Poultry - Poultry - MSD Veterinary Manual https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-in-poultry
Do you mean never breed them...like ever? That really sucks because the first photo is a yearling hen, and I love her color and was really exited to breed her. She is acting pretty much completly normal today, but her eyes are slightly swollen.
20240507_174006.jpg
The other 2 are my oldest hens that I got at an auction a few years ago. One went broody and joined her daughter sitting on eggs
20240507_174047.jpg
20240507_174027.jpg

I only ever breed absolutely healthy birds and even wait for them to reach a minimum of two years of age to make sure they moult quickly and remain healthy even in cold and stormy winters.
And I want to monitor their social skills and quality of eggs as well.

But of course, you can do whatever you want. In case you still want to breed them be aware that you will multiply the problem.

I only ever breed absolutely healthy birds and even wait for them to reach a minimum of two years of age to make sure they moult quickly and remain healthy even in cold and stormy winters.
And I want to monitor their social skills and quality of eggs as well.

But of course, you can do whatever you want. In case you still want to breed them be aware that you will multiply the problem.
Ok. I just cleaned out their pen so hopefully that helps a bit. Have I been treating it correctly or is there something else I need to be doing? All my other birds are fine, just the seramas seem to have a lot of problems for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom