Swollen Eyes

jcoz

Chirping
Oct 26, 2016
Erie, Pennsylvania
I've been checking out other threads about swollen eyes, but my girl still has me scratching my head. Friday evening I noticed a little foam in the corner of her eye. I thought maybe she had been pecked or had some other irritant in it. Saturday back to normal. Sunday normal. This morning both of her eyes were swollen shut. So I hit the threads and most indicated a respiratory infection. I took a half day off to tend to the little monkey. The Co-Op and two tractor supplies later, i had my syringes, Tylan 50, and terramycin to cover my bases. When I got home the little turd has both eyes open and is up to her normal shenanigans of being a 50 pound bird trapped in a 5 pound body. She's eating and drinking and trying to be the bully she thinks she is.
20190304_134643.jpg 20190304_140715.jpg 20190304_134726.jpg
I tried to get a better picture but she started pecking my phone :p. She has always had thick heavy eyelids. I did notice after taking the pictures, she would rub the eye on her shoulder. She did it like three times just like I would if I had something in my eye. That dark spot near the back of her eye looks like blood to me and she cocked her head down when I took the picture making her eye look puffier than it really is. I'm now leaning toward saline cleanup and terramycin rather than a series of subQ Tylan 50 injections. Her breathing is normal and nostrils are clear. Just looking for any other opinions/wisdom.

Thanks,

Coz

I've been checking out other threads about swollen eyes, but my girl still has me scratching my head. Friday evening I noticed a little foam in the corner of her eye. I thought maybe she had been pecked or had some other irritant in it. Saturday back to normal. Sunday normal. This morning both of her eyes were swollen shut. So I hit the threads and most indicated a respiratory infection. I took a half day off to tend to the little monkey. The Co-Op and two tractor supplies later, i had my syringes, Tylan 50, and terramycin to cover my bases. When I got home the little turd has both eyes open and is up to her normal shenanigans of being a 50 pound bird trapped in a 5 pound body. She's eating and drinking and trying to be the bully she thinks she is.
View attachment 1690723 View attachment 1690726 View attachment 1690757
I tried to get a better picture but she started pecking my phone :p. She has always had thick heavy eyelids. I did notice after taking the pictures, she would rub the eye on her shoulder. She did it like three times just like I would if I had something in my eye. That dark spot near the back of her eye looks like blood to me and she cocked her head down when I took the picture making her eye look puffier than it really is. I'm now leaning toward saline cleanup and terramycin rather than a series of subQ Tylan 50 injections. Her breathing is normal and nostrils are clear. Just looking for any other opinions/wisdom.

Thanks,

Coz
I would try the saline and Terramycin first, see if that helps.
It does look like she has a scab in the corner of her eye, maybe she was pecked, cut it on something or she may be scratching at that and irritating the eye more.
If she is eating/drinking well and has no other symptoms, then give her a few days with just eye care at least 2X a day.

If you see no improvement, the eye gets worse or she develops more symptoms then keep up with the flushing/ointment and add the Tylan50. Injectable Tylan50 can be given orally - dosage is .25ml per pound of weight 3 times a day for 5 days.

Love your description of her - sounds like she is a Barred Rock through and through to me:)

upload_2019-3-4_23-48-58.png

Both eyes were open this morning and she was trying to peck every passerby on the lower roost. She wasn't very receptive to ointment last night or this morning but my laughing probably bumped up the difficultly level a bit. This evening she didn't really fight it. She let put the ointment in her eye and THEN tried to peck me. She even left me an egg today. I was worried about giving her oral or injected antibiotics due to egg loss, but if that what it takes to get here healthy then... Anyhow, I'll continue on the topical ointment and keep and keep an eye on her (no pun intended). Thanks for the response Wyorp.

Both eyes were open this morning and she was trying to peck every passerby on the lower roost. She wasn't very receptive to ointment last night or this morning but my laughing probably bumped up the difficultly level a bit. This evening she didn't really fight it. She let put the ointment in her eye and THEN tried to peck me. She even left me an egg today. I was worried about giving her oral or injected antibiotics due to egg loss, but if that what it takes to get here healthy then... Anyhow, I'll continue on the topical ointment and keep and keep an eye on her (no pun intended). Thanks for the response Wyorp.
It's good that both eyes were open this morning.
I would try to flush and apply ointment at least 2 times a day if possible.

IF you have to give antibiotics, I would recommend using the Tylan50 there is a 1 day egg withdrawal period, so essentially you would throw away eggs for 6 days. (5days on Tylan+ 1 day). It is a fairly mild, but effective antibiotic and can be given orally.
Hopefully it will clear up with your daily care.

She sounds wonderful and feisty. Gotta love the Rock girls:)

Back
Top Bottom