Swollen face, old age?

How is she today?
I would observe to see if the swelling goes down over the course of a few days. I would wonder if it may be from frostbite, if so, then you may see some tissue damage appear.
She looks slightly less swollen, and a little more perky - but still not weight bearing at all on her left leg... She ate a scrambled egg, and some chicken noodle soup (courtesy of one of the roosters that was picking on her - we move fast around here! 😉). Put some poulvite in her water, and will take her in for an epsom salt bath tomorrow. (things are a little muddy right now, so I'd like to get her nice and clean for a thorough inspection.)

Can a puffy face ever just be a sign of illness due to old age? I figure it probably means she has respiratory problems... But at this point I'm hoping that maybe it's not something in the whole flock? She's over 4 years old, and has really slowed down in the last while... She also has a recurring leg injury, that seems to heal and then get exasperated again when the roosters are overly active... She's been eating and drinking, and holding her own up until today - when I found her hiding out in a nesting box and not really able to stand... And today is the first day that I noticed her face is quite swollen... I've taken her into the garage in a dog crate with food and vitamin water... No visible parasites...I nearly culled her but feel bad jumping to conclusions... She's such a sweet girl, and the only one that lets the kids carry her around... No sneezing, coughing, or oozing, but her breathing sounded heavier today - not raspy, just laboured.
View attachment 2548429View attachment 2548439
Her comb and wattles look sort of purpleish, not a good sign, she could be having some sort of organ failure.

Back
Top Bottom