1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen face??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JadziaDax, Aug 7, 2016.

1. JadziaDax

JadziaDax Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2015
    Georgia, USA
    I'm going to start searching, but what is wrong with my hen? I noticed a few days ago her comb was a little limp but the flock is molting so I attributed it to that. This morning I went to let them out and she looks like this!

None of the others seem ill.

Edit: I missed in trying to grab her and just found a little louse-like creature on my arm. I'm assuming it's causing her issues?[​IMG]

2. Eric 2016

Eric 2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    This past spring I had a pullet do that. It didn't happen with any of the other birds so I was never sure what caused it. But looked identical to your pic.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  3. JadziaDax

JadziaDax Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2015
    Georgia, USA
    Well, I've cleaned and treated the coop. The girls will get dusted tonight (I'd already let them out this morning before I noticed). I'll dust again in a week.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

4. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    I had one a few years back do that. She died a few days later I never knew what it was that happened. Her whole head swelled though . Not just the comb and wattle. I always thought maybe an allergy or snakebite...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by