Swollen face?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by DelawareSilkie, Dec 6, 2010.

1. DelawareSilkie

DelawareSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    I have a turkey, a jake I think, that has a swollen face on his left side. It looks like a bubble, kinda bluish. Is this a bruise or something else? He frequents with my other chickens a lot. I had him since he was a little chick, and grew up with these birds. This is the first time I have ever encountered this situation. Please help.

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Can you post up a photo? Any respiratory signs (snotty/exudate around eyes/wheezing)?

3. DelawareSilkie

DelawareSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    I'll try to post a photo when my camera is working, also sorry for the elongated reply, having computer problems

4. gr8ful

gr8ful New Egg

Dec 11, 2010
    Central Texas
    I have had the same problem with some of my turkeys. I read some older posts on here and got some good info. (Use your same posing title and do a search.) Anyway, I got a product called Tylan 50 from the feed store. It worked great. I used the medicine syringe you get from the pharmacy for children's medicine and gave them between 1ml - 1-1/2ml once a day by mouth for a few days. If your turkeys are like mine, you will need help holding them down. [​IMG] When they look better, give it to them for one more day. My turkeys are all back to normal now.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yesterday I noticed that my tom has a little swelling in the face area (near the eye). He also has some spots that were crusty. I gave him some Tylan. I think he will be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by