Swollen feet- not sure it's bumblefoot?

One of my girls has this same problem. She acts normally so it doesn't seem to be painful. Eats great, walks, runs.....I can't figure it out.

i have the same problem i took it to a vet he made a surgery and some pus and white colour hard substances came out of leg but the inflamation not gone and new pus is coming please some one help me out.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-01-01 at 9.16.53 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-01-01 at 9.16.53 PM.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 16
It is gout. I have ben treating my hen with Allopurinol inhibits xanthine oxidase thereby inhibiting uric acid production and increasing oxidative stress in chickens as evidenced by several studies. Birds will be given allopurinol (30mg/kg body weight) in the feed to induce oxidative stress. Plasma uric acid will be measured to validate the effect of allopurinol. After 3 days she is a new girl.

I noticed one of my girls had swollen feet the other day, and since she didn't want to roost, and walked a little funny, I figured it might be bumblefoot. So I spent a few hours reading the posts last night, pretty convinced that it was in fact bumblefoot. I got ready for "surgery" today(thanks to all the great advice here!) Imagine my surprise, when after soaking and cleaning with the epsom salts bath, there were no scabs on either foot! The pads on the bottom of both feet are warm to the touch, and the flesh is soft, not hardened. There are a couple of hard "knobs" on the outside of both feet, but again with no scabs, I didn't want to cut her open for no reason(I did nick her to see if there was any fluid or pus inside- nothing but a little blood- I didn't want to do any more without knowing for sure). I took a couple of pictures, maybe someone has an idea, or is it really bumblefoot but the scab hasn't developed yet? She is a RI red- I have 5 reds and 4 araucanas, and nobody else has feet this size!
I have a chicken with the exact same issue. Did you find a solution, or find out what it was for sure? What would make a chicken get gout? They free range, and this is the only one with this problem, so thinking it is not food related, as they all eat the same thing. Thanks!!

I noticed one of my girls had swollen feet the other day, and since she didn't want to roost, and walked a little funny, I figured it might be bumblefoot. So I spent a few hours reading the posts last night, pretty convinced that it was in fact bumblefoot. I got ready for "surgery" today(thanks to all the great advice here!) Imagine my surprise, when after soaking and cleaning with the epsom salts bath, there were no scabs on either foot! The pads on the bottom of both feet are warm to the touch, and the flesh is soft, not hardened. There are a couple of hard "knobs" on the outside of both feet, but again with no scabs, I didn't want to cut her open for no reason(I did nick her to see if there was any fluid or pus inside- nothing but a little blood- I didn't want to do any more without knowing for sure). I took a couple of pictures, maybe someone has an idea, or is it really bumblefoot but the scab hasn't developed yet? She is a RI red- I have 5 reds and 4 araucanas, and nobody else has feet this size!

72944_bumble2.jpg

72944_bumble1.jpg
Did you ever find out what was wrong? I’m having a similar problem and our vet doesn’t see chickens.

Back
Top Bottom