Swollen Feet was Bumble Foot (Pics Included)

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
This weekend, I noticed my oldest Tom (Mr. Turkey) was sitting on the ground. I walked over to him and he stumbled as he tried to get up. He was limping a lot and I knew something was wrong. There was one foot that he could not stand on. I picked him up and noticed that BOTH feed were swollen and red. I looked under his feet and I saw that he had bumble foot on BOTH feet. I brought him in and immediately started treatment.

I filled up my foot massage pan with warm water and Epsom Salt and placed him in the pan. I let him soak for an hour in the bath tub. I turned off the light and placed a night light in the bathroom. He took a nap while soaking.

After an hour of soaking both feet, I placed him on a towel to make sure that both feet were clean and to get a better look. This is what his feet looked like. He had 1 plug on 1 foot and 2 plugs on the other foot.

I got out the things that I would need and removed the black plugs. This is what it his feet looked like when I removed the plugs. You can also see a pic of the plugs and their size compared to a penny. I think I removed 2 plugs but not sure about the other.

This is the final wrap. Before wrapping both feet, I made sure they were clean. I sprayed Blue Kote on the holes and packed them with a little gauze and wrapped the feet. I then placed him in a LARGE pet carrier to monitor him.

Sunday he was standing tall and moving around. He didn't appear to be in any pain, so perhaps removing the black plugs was the problem. I will continue to monitor him to make sure that he is not in pain. If he starts to sit down again, I will know that I have to go back in and find the corn-like plugs. The entire process of removing the plugs didn't take long at all. It may have taken 30 minutes. The longest part was waiting for the feet to soak.

This is the thread that I used as a reference for Bumble foot.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to

Last edited:
Wow Kuntrygirl, you seem like such a pro!! I'm going to check on the link you used as a reference, since I recently learned what bumblefoot was, and it sounds scary (Me = newbie). You did great!!!

Great job. :thumbsup

Poor guy. He looks mighty comfortable in that foot bath though!

I think he was. He too a long nap. I would go in the bathroom and check on him every 10 minutes. I used a flashlight so not to disturb him by turning on the light. I would shine the light a little on him and I could tell he was sleeping. He did so well with the foot soak.

Wow Kuntrygirl, you seem like such a pro!!  I'm going to check on the link you used as a reference, since I recently learned what bumblefoot was, and it sounds scary (Me = newbie).  You did great!!!

No, I'm far from a pro. I was able to do this because of the link here on BYC. I couldn't have done it without it. It was easy as pie. If I can do it, ANYONE can do it. ;)

I think he was. He too a long nap. I would go in the bathroom and check on him every 10 minutes. I used a flashlight so not to disturb him by turning on the light. I would shine the light a little on him and I could tell he was sleeping. He did so well with the foot soak.
So cute :love

Even men can enjoy a good foot soak!

Thank you for the details too. marking this as reference. this poultry hobby would be so much more difficult without BYC and people like you who post these "fixes" we all may need some day.

RobertH

This weekend, I noticed my oldest Tom (Mr. Turkey) was sitting on the ground. I walked over to him and he stumbled as he tried to get up. He was limping a lot and I knew something was wrong. There was one foot that he could not stand on. I picked him up and noticed that BOTH feed were swollen and red. I looked under his feet and I saw that he had bumble foot on BOTH feet. I brought him in and immediately started treatment.
I filled up my foot massage pan with warm water and Epsom Salt and placed him in the pan. I let him soak for an hour in the bath tub. I turned off the light and placed a night light in the bathroom. He took a nap while soaking.

After an hour of soaking both feet, I placed him on a towel to make sure that both feet were clean and to get a better look. This is what his feet looked like. He had 1 plug on 1 foot and 2 plugs on the other foot.

I got out the things that I would need and removed the black plugs. This is what it his feet looked like when I removed the plugs. You can also see a pic of the plugs and their size compared to a penny. I think I removed 2 plugs but not sure about the other.

This is the final wrap. Before wrapping both feet, I made sure they were clean. I sprayed Blue Kote on the holes and packed them with a little gauze and wrapped the feet. I then placed him in a LARGE pet carrier to monitor him.

Sunday he was standing tall and moving around. He didn't appear to be in any pain, so perhaps removing the black plugs was the problem. I will continue to monitor him to make sure that he is not in pain. If he starts to sit down again, I will know that I have to go back in and find the corn-like plugs. The entire process of removing the plugs didn't take long at all. It may have taken 30 minutes. The longest part was waiting for the feet to soak.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to
If I may ask this is new to me what is the bummble foot and black plug desease and how can you prevent it

If I may ask this is new to me what is the bummble foot and black plug desease and how can you prevent it

Here are some links you can click on for more information.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

Surgery Video

Back
Top Bottom