Swollen feet?

britesidefarm

Songster
May 22, 2020
Santa Barbara, CA
My EE/Ameracauna :idunno Hen has had large, bumpy feet for a while now, but she hasn’t had any trouble walking at all. It is definitely not bumble foot since there is no cut or any entry point for any infection.The sole’s of her feet are now huge and swollen. She’s been hiding out in the coop on her roost near the heat lamp as she’s molting, but nothing saying she’s hurting at all other than that.
61208725-BD77-4ACA-B424-DF328DE75209.jpeg
519B88AC-F973-465C-8744-3CA26178E7C9.jpeg
04D44813-1D47-4B09-A44D-51F49F366046.jpeg
5235A99F-0E19-4F79-9498-37CE78F11240.jpeg

Ballistol is not sold in the US, but mineral oil is part of it’s mixture. That is a good oil to use to treat scaly leg mites. It may contain DE as well since it says Ballistrol de, but I am not sure. Others would be castor oil, and some use Nustock cream from feed stores. Nustock contains sulfur in pine oil. I agreee that I would continue to treat the legs at least once a week. Several things can cause swelling in the feet and toes, and those include articular gout and arthritis, which can be caused by mycoplasma synovitis and other bacterial or viral arthritis. Edited to say the plain ballistrol for gun lubrication seems to be available online.

I have used a number of oils to treat a rooster who had scaly leg mites. Crisco solid vegetable oil shortening, vaseline, canola oil are some, and castor oil which may be less messy. Everyone has their favorite one, but repeating the treatment for many weeks is probably the thing that will help, more than the oil.

The rounded roosting bar puts too much pressure on her footpads, so first thing to do would be installing a new one approx. 6 x 4 cm.

Secondly I would spray her feet and legs with Ballistol Animal as the uplifted scales hint to scaly leg mites that can cause swelling and itching of the feet.
https://ballistol.de/shop/en/products/animals/ballistol-animal/
What she’s standing on isn’t a roost. Her roost is smaller, and not rounded. I just placed her there to get a better angle of her feet. She’s nearly 6 and has no leg mites. I’ve already put her through treatment multiple times last month in case she did and no change.

My EE/Ameracauna :idunno Hen has had large, bumpy feet for a while now, but she hasn’t had any trouble walking at all. It is definitely not bumble foot since there is no cut or any entry point for any infection.The sole’s of her feet are now huge and swollen. She’s been hiding out in the coop on her roost near the heat lamp as she’s molting, but nothing saying she’s hurting at all other than that.
She’s nearly 6 and has no leg mites. I’ve already put her through treatment multiple times last month in case she did and no change.
We used Vaseline daily for about 2 weeks.
Can you please get some photos of the bottom of her feet and a couple of all of her (what she looks like)?

How cold is it where you are that you need to provide supplemental heat?

She's 6 years old, she's not limping and she's molting.
Hard to know what's up with her feet, but it may be age related. A little gout or arthritis.
Since she's not limping or having a hard time moving about I would be inclined to monitor the feet. Provide her with a little extra protein (egg, meat, fish, chick starter, etc.) to help her through molt or feed her all chick starter since she's likely not laying eggs right now and doesn't need to extra calcium in layer feed. Give her a boost a couple of times a week with poultry vitamins direct dosed.

I would still apply vaseline to her legs once a week. The scales are raised a bit and may need some healing - could also be age related, but if it's the start of SLM, once a week should take care of it and it probably feels good too.

Back
Top Bottom