Swollen feet

Quote:
Can you post a pix?
Sometimes chicken feet just look puffy. Last summer I thought my EE had bumblefoot, foot looked swollen and very pink. Had to go to work, but while I was at work I called an exotic & avian vet, and made tentative plans to take her in for treatment. That night I grabbed her and looked closely, both feet looked the same and the pinkness was a geranium petal stuck to the bottom of her foot.

Imp- wiping egg off his face.

I wasn't sure how to post a picture here, so added a link to Photobucket where I have two pictures of the feet.

Quote:
Great pictures.

If you look at the pix of the undersides of the feet it looks like there is a black spot in the center of the puffyness. Classic bumblefoot. On both feet too, don't think I've seen that posted before. I don't have any personal experience with it. I'll go look for a good link. Is vet an option? Not sure if you should try to fix both feet at the same time. Hmmm....?

Imp

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=219319

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=303829

Both these threads look like they have good advice.

Thanks Imp...the links were helpful...looks like I'm headed to Rural King and Walmart for some "surgical supplies". Fortunately, my husband and I are used to handling our animals and performing minor "surgeries". I think I'll keep our lady inside for a couple of days to make sure she's okay. I checked everyone else's feet and didn't see any other affected birds. We're also cleaning out our coop today or tomorrow, it's time to do so anyway.

I'll post again with (hopefully good) results later.

Thanks Imp...the links were helpful...looks like I'm headed to Rural King and Walmart for some "surgical supplies". Fortunately, my husband and I are used to handling our animals and performing minor "surgeries". I think I'll keep our lady inside for a couple of days to make sure she's okay. I checked everyone else's feet and didn't see any other affected birds. We're also cleaning out our coop today or tomorrow, it's time to do so anyway.

I'll post again with (hopefully good) results later.

Okay, we have pulled the plugs, cleaned the wounds, and bandaged with ichthammol/antibiotic ointment mixture. The hen was so calm during the soaking, and then we put a towel over her head and laid her down on her side. She barely moved. My husband used the tweezers to release the plug...we had to dig a little, but she did great! We squeezed out a little pus and flushed the opening w/ hydrogen peroxide. once we got her bandaged, gauze w/ the ointment mix, and vet tape to secure it, she sat right up. We're going to cage her for the night in the bathroom and I'll check her in the morning. What a good girl and patient.

Back
Top Bottom