swollen foot following bumblefoot and vet visit - need advice

Did your vet do a culture of the infection? A culture would definitely identify the type of staph or infection so that proper antibiotic could be applied. It’s concerning to me that your vet just suggests continuing with a medication that isn’t working.

as far as once weekly injections for ducks, I’ve never heard of it. I thought with a duck’s metabolism they would need twice daily medication.

so sorry for you and your duck. After vet care, something like this should get better, not worse.

Okay, thanks. The vet's response said something about 7-day injection (would need to be repeated). Do you think that means I would need to have one every day for 7 days? I'm sure I'll find out this afternoon, but just trying to gear myself up for his response.
Typically when a Dr. Says its a 7 day injection, its good/lasts for 7 days then you take her back for another injection.
Its just like Z-Pac. Take two on first day then one every day x4. But it lasts up to 10 days.
I hope the injection works. When it becomes a bone or joint infection, its a long haul to cure without amputation.
Good Luck!

@casportpony Do you know something that would be better? My ducks foot is clearly worse and she's supposed to get her 2nd injection this afternoon. The other antibiotic he offered me was TRIMETHOPRIM SULFA. I see joint inflammation as a side-effect for this! I am at a loss and of course trying to avoid another exam since there's nothing for the doc to see but more swelling, I already sent him pictures, and I won't be able to talk to him in the exam room anyway.

Hi friends, I ended up euthanizing Polly today :(. The doc said it was badly abscessed. He said he could do a needle abstraction and send the culture away, but would definitely want the x-ray as well. Then he said it would be at least 8-10 weeks of antibiotics and he didn't feel confident that it would necessarily work. I just couldn't put her through all of that and I know it would have been hundreds of dollars. Just the initial culture and x-ray was $250, without exam or med charges. I feel sad, and can't believe how quickly it went sideways.

Hi friends, I ended up euthanizing Polly today :(. The doc said it was badly abscessed. He said he could do a needle abstraction and send the culture away, but would definitely want the x-ray as well. Then he said it would be at least 8-10 weeks of antibiotics and he didn't feel confident that it would necessarily work. I just couldn't put her through all of that and I know it would have been hundreds of dollars. Just the initial culture and x-ray was $250, without exam or med charges. I feel sad, and can't believe how quickly it went sideways.
Oh I’m sorry for your loss. That’s heartbreaking news.
I’m sure she had a wonderful life that you provided. It’s so difficult to lose a beloved pet.

Back
Top Bottom