Swollen Foot

I've gotten to where I can do it by myself and don't even cover the bird's head any more. Once you've done it a few times it is much easier. Yes you do have to remove all the gunk and the kernel if there is one, otherwise it will still be there.

OK So me and my husband are working to remove it and the kernel in her foot is MASSIVE almost the size of a boulder marble. We will have to cut almost the whole bottom of her foot open just to get it out. Any opinions on wither we should still remove it or not?

Sometimes you can coax it out by squeezing...but it has to come out or it will not heal. The skin should stretch and give a tad.

Last edited:
Lots of squeezing, and squeeze the top of the feet between the toes also. There may be a kernel, and sometimes there is pus that hasn't solidified. I tend to go fairly deep in a cone shape around the black spot, deep enough to get the kernel, but not too deep. And squeeze, squeeze from every angle. Then dress it with Neosporin and Telfa or gauze, then vet wrap strips. I change mine every 2 days for a week or so.

After lots of hard work we finally were able to remove the kernel. I wasn't nearly as big as we originally thought it was it was about the size of a dime. It was just very full of puss and other yucky stuff which is why my husband though it was all the kernel. She is in the house for the night in her own area and doing good from what I can tell. I will update tomorrow as we are exhausted and heading to bed.

I will say after all that I will be regularly checking my flocks feet regularly!

After lots of hard work we finally were able to remove the kernel. I wasn't nearly as big as we originally thought it was it was about the size of a dime. It was just very full of puss and other yucky stuff which is why my husband though it was all the kernel. She is in the house for the night in her own area and doing good from what I can tell. I will update tomorrow as we are exhausted and heading to bed.

I will say after all that I will be regularly checking my flocks feet regularly!

So glad to hear you and DH got through it .. keep us informed as to progress!
frow.gif

She is doing wonderful today back out with the rest of the flock like nothing ever happened... Boy are chickens resilient!!

I was so tired last night, I forgot to thank you for all the help you have given to me. You guys were such a tremendous help to us, I don't know what I would have done without it! So THANK YOU so very much for your help
highfive.gif

She is doing wonderful today back out with the rest of the flock like nothing ever happened... Boy are chickens resilient!!

I was so tired last night, I forgot to thank you for all the help you have given to me. You guys were such a tremendous help to us, I don't know what I would have done without it! So THANK YOU so very much for your help
highfive.gif
Wonderful news! Check that foot every day and keep the VetWrap as clean as possible (yeah....right!)....

Back
Top Bottom