1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Swollen head on newly hatched chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommaduck2014, Dec 26, 2014.

1. mommaduck2014

mommaduck2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2014
    I have had chicks hatching since the 20th. Two have hatched today one of the babies has a swollen area above its left eye. Its floppy but that's to be expected its only been out of the shell less than 2 hours. The other chick that hatched 5 hours ago it alert but still a little floppy. I have put the hurt baby in a brooder by itself under a heat lamp. He's awake but is having a hard time getting comfortable. The swelling is noticeable when looking at her face to face she is lopsided looking. [​IMG]

2. Lalegid

Lalegid Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    I'm sorry I don't have anything helpful to say, but I hope you find out what's wrong and that your wee chicks are ok. Good luck!

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Is it filled with fluid or does it look more like the brain is protruding?
    I'm not really sure what could be done for it, but separating it was a good idea, to keep it from being pecked at. You might post your picture in the emergencies section of the forum, I'm sure someone else has dealt with this type of thing, and they could probably advise you as to what your next step should be.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by