SWOLLEN INTESTINES AND CONSTANT FILTHY BUTT

nomoneycanrepla

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 23, 2015
We have a 2 1/2 year old RIH hen that has had a hard, swollen underbelly for 7 weeks. She is NOT layingShe has been to the vet and x-rayed and ultrasounded. No broken eggs. At the time, she had a gas bubble and some fluid in her lower intestine. Which is 'normal' She had bloodwork done for parasites, (guardia), etc. All normal. She has regular appettite and drinking. She waddles a bit due to the swelling underneath. She isn't laying, and hasn't laid for 7 weeks.

Please help!

It sounds as if she may have ascites...fluid in the abdominal cavity..it may be due to a problem with her liver...I hope somebody here will read your post and give you some further suggestions or help...

Thank you, I will look that up and the symptoms. BTW, I'm sorry your Maman died. Its hard for people to understand that you can love a bird as much as a dog/cat! The vet said she was probably taking time off laying, but what about how she is swollen?

Her bottom has been like this for weeks. We clean it and then it comes back. Maybe she can't bend to clean it?

She may have vent gleet...I suggest you look up the symptoms of vent gleet and see if tghis is what she may have..it is treatable.

I looked at that. Today when we bathed her bottom, her upper part of her vent looked loose and prolapsed. Never a day without worry with these girls.

It turned out our girl was VERY sick. We had her put down at the vet. It broke our hearts, but she was not getting better after all that veterinarian intervention. She had an egg that went outside the tract. It was not seen on any of the diagnostic tests the vet did. He did a free autopsy, because he had no idea what it was.

It turned out our girl was VERY sick. We had her put down at the vet. It broke our hearts, but she was not getting better after all that veterinarian intervention. She had an egg that went outside the tract. It was not seen on any of the diagnostic tests the vet did. He did a free autopsy, because he had no idea what it was.
Welcome to BYC. Sorry for your loss, but thanks for sharing your story.
hugs.gif

-Kathy

Thank you, Kathy. Its very hard for people who don't have fowl to realize how INTENSE our love and devotion is to them. They aren't food for us, and many BYC folks. And even if they are food, the birds personality and antics are a thrill!

Back
Top Bottom