swollen leg, loss of balance, breathing issues, odd behavior, etc

GoldenPeep

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 1, 2013
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Buff Brahma, almost 7, don't know weight, seems a little lighter
2) What is the behavior, exactly. (Also symptoms and other possible factors)
-One leg swollen
-Recovering from scaly leg mites (used nu-stock, Vaseline, and yesterday added a little ivermectin to Vaseline, looks better now)
-Treated with Wazine 10 days ago for possible roundworms (didn't see any big load though)
-Loss of balance, not walking well but doesn't seem to be limping, started 9 days ago, has been in indoor cage since then)
-Today started odd behavior: pecked at, but not eating, food, then scratching and flapping and rolling to her side a little as if she were trying to take a dust bath (but is in a cage with just newspaper)
-Breathing seems slightly labored or wheezy
-Pale comb
-Has laid very few eggs in last 3 years, none for last year (assume age-related)

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
9-10 days, new symptoms today
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
one swollen leg
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
???
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Eating and drinking fairly well
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
In last 10 days has sometimes been runny, sometimes firmer. Attached pic from today
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
As above, plus supplementing feed with some various high-nutrient foods.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Can't afford a vet. She is my son's favorite and he adores her, so want her better.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Attached. Trying to add video, but no luck yet. Any tips to do that?
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Currently indoors. Usually in coop/run with 3 other girls, straw in nest box and pine shaving bedding.
IMG_20190130_103925731.jpg
IMG_20190130_104052107.jpg
IMG_20190130_104343819.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that your hen is not doing well.
For video, upload to youtube, then provide us a link. (The BYC upload does not work!:()

How does her crop feel in the morning before she eats/drinks - is it empty?
Any bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen?

Thanks, here's the vid:

I haven't checked her crop in the morning, but it feels fine now.

This is a hard one to know exactly what is going on. The left leg looks very swollen, and usually when there is swelling in one leg, it usually is in the other as well. Some things that can cause leg swelling are viral arthritis or bacterial joint infection such as mycoplasma synoviae (MS,) and gout. Usually we see those in both legs. She also could have suffered an injury or have a pelvic tumor that is blocking circulation. At her age, arthritis may be a cause.

She has significant scaly leg mites which can cause pain. That is treated by applying an oil to the legs weekly, and rubbing it into the loose scales. There are many different treatments that are successful. If she can come inside to dry or in warm westher, it can be helpful to soak the legs in warm soapy or Epsom salts water, and give them a gentle scrub with a toothbrush to loosen the scales before applying oil. Castor oil, coconut oil, crisco shortening, and vaseline are some of the oils used.

The odd dust bathing actions might just be a red herring, or it might be a neurological symptom. Hopefully, others will chime in with opinions.

Here is some reading about leg mites:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

I've been treating the SLM for more than two weeks, mostly with rubbing nu-stock and/or Vaseline on her legs, and yesterday added a little Ivermectin to Vaseline and rubbed it on. It looks better now than it did two weeks ago.

Thanks, here's the vid:

I haven't checked her crop in the morning, but it feels fine now.
In the video I DO think she is trying to take a dust bath. She's not eating, she's pecking through her feed just a like a hen pecks through dirt while dust bathing. Give her a dish tub of loose dirt.
I would also look her over for lice/mites
I agree with @Eggcessive continue to treat for SLM. Those could be causing her pain and she may be favoring one leg over the other as far as balance goes.
Since she is an old hen, swelling could be from a number of things, but hopefully it will go down once the legs start to heal.

She is pale, I would direct dose her with poultry vitamins for a few days then once a week. She may also benefit from some extra protein as well.

Back
Top Bottom