swollen neck loss of feathers

ValStarr

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 5, 2008
Maryland
11497_chickenpic.jpg

As you can see from the picture one of our new chicks (10 weeks) is having some problems. We are new to the 'chickens in the backyard' thing, and don't really know what to do here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The purple you see is from Blue Coat and she is wet from being washed. It seems to come and go (the swelling) this picture is the worse it's been. We are thinking she needs an antibiotic? She is not acting sick she will run with the rest if we let her but we have her separated now.
thanks, Valerie

if she is being picked on she needs to stay separated ,,,,,, and I dont know about antibiotics ,,,,,,, maybe yuo could try washhing it a few times a day with saline solution. Does she have any pus in the wound? If not I dont think it is infected,,,although it is red. Keep an eye on it and wash with saline solution and if gets worse then you could put a topical antibiotic on it. But I am not a vet so this is just a suggestion.

Thanks Kris,
No pus is obvious, the swelling seems to be coming from the inside. Now that she is inside we can see that she is picking at it. We are trying neosporin.

Back
Top Bottom