swollen, oozing feet

Just an idea as I’ve never had to deal with frostbite on chickens in fl lol but if your hen is having pain from walking maybe making a sling would be helpful? It would take the pressure off her feet and it would keep them a bit cleaner

Alright, fellow chicken friends! I need some advice.

I live in New Mexico where the climate is dry and warm, but we just had 3 days of pretty intense snow and wetness. I have a dry area for the chickens and their coop is dry as well but 2 of my chickens 2 days later starting limping, and I noticed their feet were swollen, red, warm, with a foul odor. First thought! bumblefoot. I’m a PA at an urgent care, so I thought, easy, I’ll open it up and drain it/debride it. So about 3 days ago I opened the swollen feet up where it seemed most swollen and fluctuant, but was unable to successfully get any kind of dead tissue or pus out. I then soaked their feet, wrapped them, and gave them each a shot of rocephin. I have been soaking them daily and re-wraping them, keeping them separate from the others in a clean crate in my garage, changing the straw bedding out daily, as well as giving them antibiotic tablets in their water. I have not seem much improvement at all. Their feet are still oozy and swollen and red throughout. There is no obvious abscess, just swollen with oozing all over with a very foul, infectious odor. Now today the skin is very friable, where it just peels off their feet. The bandages are often wet with foul odor when I take them out the next day to soak.

Both chickens seem in pain, unable to bear weight on affected feet.
One of the chickens did have a scab on the bottom of the foot, but the other (which is the one who is worse off) did not have any visible scab/mark, but the foot is very swollen and oozy.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Looks like Frostbite.
You may want to look at post #16 and #17 by @Eggcessive to get some tips about care. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ere-frozen☹️please-help.1446585/post-24049164
It would be hard to tell how much of the toes/feet they will lose.
You may find that puppy pads lining their cages will be easier to keep clean instead of straw at least until the feet stop oozing.

Blisters should not be popped but left alone with frostbite. Draining should not be done. As long as the chicken is indoors where it is warm, the legs can be soaked daily in warm water with chlorhexidene, betadine, or Epsom salts. Then something like Vetericyn Hydrogel Spray or similar can be used daily. Do not rub or massage frostbitten skin. Some of the dark purple skin may slough off leaving healthy skin underneath. But if the toe is completely datk, it may well shrivel and die.

Back
Top Bottom