Swollen toe in week old chick

Castlewood

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
Austin, Texas
My Coop
My Coop
We have no idea what's happening with this BCM chick's toe. She is behaving normally from what we can tell, but her outside toe is swollen, red, and I think feels a bit warm (although difficult to really tell). She's walking fine.

She's in a brooder box with two other BCM chicks, who are fine; the other 5 chicks we got at the same time from the same source also have no issues.

We've had her since Saturday evening and just noticed this toe today. Not sure if it was like this before and we just didn't see, or if this is new.

1: anyone have an idea what's going on?
2: what do we do about it?

TIA!

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200825213543037_COVER.jpg
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200825213603887_COVER.jpg
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200825213615658_COVER.jpg

It does look swollen, my first thought was kinda strangulated, like an accidental string wrapped around the toe. But it almost looks like maybe a splinter/cut? What type of bedding and flooring are you using? Any idea what the seller was using before you got the chicks?

Take a closer look at the area I circled. Can you see a cut, or anything in there? Around the toe, toward the center toe, from what is visible in the pic.

22B73E5B-229B-40D3-8ACB-78FADC08ABBF.jpeg

It does look swollen, my first thought was kinda strangulated, like an accidental string wrapped around the toe. But it almost looks like maybe a splinter/cut? What type of bedding and flooring are you using? Any idea what the seller was using before you got the chicks?

Take a closer look at the area I circled. Can you see a cut, or anything in there? Around the toe, toward the center toe, from what is visible in the pic.

View attachment 2306679
Good idea! I checked and I can't see anything, even when using my camping headlamp for some good lighting. It looks a little different today, more yellowish. I cleaned it with some warm soapy water, rubbed gently & put on diluted hydrogen peroxide with a q-tip, then smothered some neosporin.

Is it possible this could be scaly leg mites? None of our other chicks appear to have issues, and they're only 1 week old today, so I'm doubtful....but we're still such noobs and are only learning!

@Eggcessive @casportpony @Wyorp Rock do any of you happen to know? (I feel like I've asked you 10 gazillion questions already, but y'all have some seriously great knowledge & guidance! And we're really appreciative for your input.)

Keep the area clean, it looks like an infection. The top of the toe, is that where the puss is coming from? Keep analyzing the foot, hopefully nothing is left behind causing the inflammation.
Yeah, I'm thinking that's most likely as well. What on earth would I be looking for in terms of something causing the infection? You mean like a splinter or something? They're on pine shavings, forgot to mention that earlier.

I agree with @esme13 it does look like it may be infected.
Hard to know what happened to the toe, could have been mashed or injured somehow. The back toe looks a little questionable too - maybe she caught it in something.

I would clean it with an antiseptic like Hibiclen (Chlorhexidine) or Betadine. Apply triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn. Place her on clean puppy pads. I'm not sure about wrapping the foot since it's swollen.

If it gets worse or looks like it's going to become necrotic, it may be better to have your vet amputate the toe. Just thinking out loud on that.

I agree with @esme13 it does look like it may be infected.
Hard to know what happened to the toe, could have been mashed or injured somehow. The back toe looks a little questionable too - maybe she caught it in something.

I would clean it with an antiseptic like Hibiclen (Chlorhexidine) or Betadine. Apply triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn. Place her on clean puppy pads. I'm not sure about wrapping the foot since it's swollen.

If it gets worse or looks like it's going to become necrotic, it may be better to have your vet amputate the toe. Just thinking out loud on that.
Thank you for the recommendation and thoughts. We're keeping a close eye; I'm going to clean it again now.

Back
Top Bottom