Swollen turkey feet and toes

His feet look normal to me for a meat turkey. Typically, they are butchered by 16 weeks. Our toms made it to 6 months before experiencing major leg problems. Our hen made it to 3 years. Not a great lifespan, but if you limit feed and encourage exercise (along with ranging for bugs and greens) he can have a decent life.

Jody

Thanks! Yes, that's what I've been told. I am a vegetarian so he doesn't have to worry about becoming my dinner! But I do feel sorry for him...he can't help his genetics. He is doing much better with the restricted lifestyle. Today I saw him bend his toes to a 30-40 degree angle off the edge of his platform! He seems in much less pain now too!

I just checked and he is about 19 weeks old. I have a picture of him as a chick (turkeyling?) only a day or two old on May 3rd. Maybe his feet are supposed to have thick toes? I have never had a turkey before and only have my chickens, ducks, pigeons, and doves to compare to and they all have slim, neat toes.

Last edited:
smile.png
OK, I just gotta ask... how did you end up with just one meat turkey??
smile.png

Susan

Well...Chickerdoodle13 & I went in together on a "barnyard surprise" of chicks from a hatchery back in May and we ended up with 49? chicks, 2 ducklings, and 2 baby turkeys! I also ordered 4 Cuyuga ducklings. I took 14 of the chicks, and 1 turkey and my 4 Cuyugas and she took the rest to raise. 1 of my chicks died so I ended up with 13. I sold a bunch and 2 ducks (the other two are for sale) and raised the turkey too. He is the sweetest thing! And that's how I ended up with 1 meat turkey!

Last edited:
Thanks! All of my chickens are supposed to be egg layers and this is my first meat bird so I didn't know their feet get fat. I thought they were swollen but the more I hear from everyone, maybe they are normal and I am just a worried mom?!?!

No worries, the worry is normal.
cool.png

Most people have no idea what a meat bird or their food really looks like and when they really see it... it can be sad. You mean they aren't the brown ones you see on tv!!!
ep.gif

Here is a pic of Jenny, our meat turkey (Broad Breasted Bronze hen). She was so sweet in her days and tried to be a normal turkey by hiding her eggs in the woods, dustbathing and following us around the farm. They really can live a decent life. We didn't know she was a meat turkey when we bought her and 2 others. Ours were sold to us as "bronze" turkeys.

100_0878.jpg

Here's our standard wild eastern tom, Elmer for comparison. He was her friend and partner for her entire life.

DVC00239.jpg

Jody

Back
Top Bottom