Swollen turkey feet and toes

He is doing much better now and almost all his feathers are grown back in. Today I let him out of his pen to roam the yard after breakfast but first I put the food in the chicken coop up really high so he can't reach it if he wanders in there! He definitely looks more like the bronze bird two posts above, not like a wild turkey. Did you say she is a hen? My bird looks identical in the head...at least I think so. How do you know if a turkey is a tom or hen? I thought the little thing growing above the bill meant it was a tom.
smile.png

Last edited:
If the little nubby above the beak stays a little nubby then chances are it is a girl, if it hangs sometimes down the side if the face it is a girl. Watch for the red bunches of skin to start forming around the lower neck, that is a Tom. I am posting a couple pics, the first is of my Bourban Red Tom in his full glorry, the second is of my BR/blue slate cross hen. Her face doesnt every really chance color like the toms does. Jenn
036-1.jpg

033-1.jpg

I have 2 white turkeys and a bronze turkey. They are pets. All three used to get swollen feet and ankles. I have learn to control their food intake and I alter Nate bi-weekly brewer's yeast, and vitamins and electrolytes 4 poultry. helps to control the stress and health and swelling. try for a couple months I bet you'll see the difference. Good luck.♡ my bird's.

Swollen feet is often caused by a bumble; but usually you see like a black stain on the bottom of the foot. Since you didn't; the second guess would be an infectous arthritis type thing. Either way, a shot of LA200 in the leg will probably clear it right up.
can you give a shot of pencillin? and if yes where to adminster shot at?

Back
Top Bottom