swollen vent on 2 week old chick

jcabanis

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 18, 2008
one of my little Cuckoo Marans is doing poorly. I noticed her vent area was very pink and swollen--took her out and washed her hiney; there was some feces on her feathers under the vent but it was not pasted shut. But it protrudes and looks swollen. I put her back in for a minute and watched her and another chick pecked her on the vent area. So she's in the hospital box and not very happy about it. What is this, and what can I do about it? None of the other chicks seem to have a problem. We've had to clean off their rears twice==but fewer of them had the problem the second week. She also seems smaller than many of the others (it's a straight run so we don't know which are roosters just yet, but she is smaller even than the other small supposed hens).

Okay, I'm a newbie. After putting some ointment on her raw pink places and inspecting her close up I realize that her anus isn't distended--that's her tail tip. the other chickens pulled her tail feathers out, I guess. She is the low hen in the pecking order, poor thing.

She had a big healthy poop in the hospital box but she's lonely, even for her abusive siblings ...

Put one that's not a jerk in with her...They need the company...
It's not a bad thing to be a newbie...we all had to start somewheres.
If you have BluKote you could use that too on the bare places.

Back
Top Bottom