Swollen vent, some blood

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
I found my chicken in the run this morning with white fluid running down his vent. I brought him in for a cleaning and care. There was some bleeding as well. These photos are after some cleaning. Part of the vent was protruding, but went back in. I sprayed with Vetricin and put hen healer on it as well. I have brought Bonzai into the house in a large crate to keep other chickens from pecking. Bonzai didn't like being alone so I put on some nature sounds and covered the pen like you would for a parrot. Is there anything else I should do? What could cause this?

PXL_20231116_165046166.jpg PXL_20231116_165527086.jpg

Last edited:
She may have suffered a prolapsed cloaca which has mostly gone back inside. Sometimes they were straining to lay an egg or obstruction when this happened, so I would check to see it she is egg bound. A human calcium citrate tablet 600 mg with vitamin D could be given orally to swallow today, and again tomorrow if she is having problems. Keep any part of the protruding vent moist with either honey or a mild ointment, so the internal tissue does not dry out. Has she had any trouble laying or with constipation lately? Has she pooped since this happened?

She may have suffered a prolapsed cloaca which has mostly gone back inside. Sometimes they were straining to lay an egg or obstruction when this happened, so I would check to see it she is egg bound. A human calcium citrate tablet 600 mg with vitamin D could be given orally to swallow today, and again tomorrow if she is having problems. Keep any part of the protruding vent moist with either honey or a mild ointment, so the internal tissue does not dry out. Has she had any trouble laying or with constipation lately? Has she pooped since this happened?
This is the chicken that is probably a male (though my husband insists it's female). It's never laid an egg and never crowed. 33 week old Australorp. Hen-like behavior and bottom of pecking order (including 15 week old chicks). I've had him inside on some soft bedding. It's pretty deep, I haven't seen any poop in the shavings, but has more in his feathers. -- apologies, thought I mentioned that in the previous post. I must have missed it in between everything else.

UPDATE: I soaked him/her (the hills we die on! LOL) in a sink of warm Epsom water. I really expected more of a battle, but I think he liked it. He sat down in it, laid on his side and just soaked liked that until I started drizzling water as it got too cold. I then wrapped him in a towel and fed him solidified coconut oil. I think I managed to get most of one tablespoon in him. I also treated the wound with some Vaseline before putting him in the pen for the night. He did bite me once, before turning around and pecking the stew out of the spoon holding the oil, eating most of it in the process. But all-in-all, cooperative patient. Poor baby. His crop felt firm and very full. He has no food in the pen and I will see how he is in the morning.

@Eggcessive I'm assuming I don't need to do the calcium since I don't believe this is a pullet?

Attachments

• PXL_20231116_231808823.jpg
    PXL_20231116_231808823.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Bonsai left these in his sleeping area last night (and crowed this morning - lol). I didn't see any blood this morning, but his vent is still inflamed looking. He eats commercial feed and an occasional treat such as soldier fly or watermelon, but treats are limited.

Attachments

• PXL_20231117_131354168.jpg
    PXL_20231117_131354168.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20231117_131434347.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20231117_131434347.NIGHT.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom