Swollen Vent

CSAchook

Enabler
5 Years
Aug 21, 2017
New Mexico
I have a 1.5 week old bantam Cochins that appears to have some swelling around her vent. I also heard her crying while pooping. Any advice on what I can do to help her would be greatly appreciated.

C6478655-23A2-41A6-BEC9-15A37DC7C1B7.jpeg
95668DBB-D659-4355-8B5F-17E104246A09.jpeg
734F907B-8069-46DC-B8AD-2964896A067F.jpeg
061B3782-6F68-49E8-9782-CADBB8AF1F7E.jpeg

Sweet Baby!

Is she drinking?
If she's struggling to poop, then I would see that she's getting hydrated, I like to give Poultry Cell or Poultry Nutri-Drench (2-3 drops twice a day) too.
See if she will eat some wet feed and for constipation I would also give her a little coconut oil - refrigerate it and break it into small chunks.

The vent does look a bit swollen, if it doesn't reduce I would give her bum a little soak in epsom salts. You can put a little anti-inflammatory cream on the vent as well.

How does her crop feel? She looks very constipated, and if her crop is hard and full, she may have been eating bedding. Can you give her some chilled coconut oil or mineral oil? Take a QTip and moisten her vent with some oil as well to try and get her pooping. She needs to drink plenty of water now.

Sweet Baby!

Is she drinking?
If she's struggling to poop, then I would see that she's getting hydrated, I like to give Poultry Cell or Poultry Nutri-Drench (2-3 drops twice a day) too.
See if she will eat some wet feed and for constipation I would also give her a little coconut oil - refrigerate it and break it into small chunks.

The vent does look a bit swollen, if it doesn't reduce I would give her bum a little soak in epsom salts. You can put a little anti-inflammatory cream on the vent as well.

How does her crop feel? She looks very constipated, and if her crop is hard and full, she may have been eating bedding. Can you give her some chilled coconut oil or mineral oil? Take a QTip and moisten her vent with some oil as well to try and get her pooping. She needs to drink plenty of water now.

Thank you both so much for replying!!! Her crop is soft like the other chicks, but I did switch the brooder from paper towels to shavings a few days ago so it is possible she ate some bedding.

She was able to poop while I was inspecting her, but she had to strain a lot to do so.

She has been drinking as far as I know but I will be keeping a much closer eye on her now and make sure she gets plenty of water. I am going to give her a little soak in epsom salts to clean her up and hopefully get the swelling down. Then I will feed her coconut oil, give her some nutridrench, and oil that toosh.

Thank you so much for all the advice! I will report back about how she does.

Well she is pooping now with reasonable frequency and no crying. But it does still seem like she is straining a bit and her vent is still very swollen. I am going to try putting a dab of preparation H on her vent to see if that helps at all. And I did get her to eat a mix of feed, water, and coconut oil. Fingers crossed she is looking better in the morning!

Just wondering since we have some experts here... would it ever be a good idea to give a baby enema with an eye dropper--maybe a small amount of lukewarm saline?
With her being so very tiny and her vent so swollen I would be terrified of injuring her. I think though that soaking her has a similar effect. Or at least I hope so.

Back
Top Bottom