Swollen Vent

With her being so very tiny and her vent so swollen I would be terrified of injuring her. I think though that soaking her has a similar effect. Or at least I hope so.
The dummy probably ate some shavings....total guess.

I'm glad she is better.

Just wondering since we have some experts here... would it ever be a good idea to give a baby enema with an eye dropper--maybe a small amount of lukewarm saline?
Well she is pooping now with reasonable frequency and no crying. But it does still seem like she is straining a bit and her vent is still very swollen. I am going to try putting a dab of preparation H on her vent to see if that helps at all. And I did get her to eat a mix of feed, water, and coconut oil. Fingers crossed she is looking better in the morning!
@CSAchook Keep us posted on how she's doing. It can take a little time for vent swelling to go down. Another soak tomorrow in the epsom salts may be beneficial (IF she becomes lethargic, don't soak her).

@CindyinSD No. I would not give a chick an enema (nor an adult chicken).
Soaking can be done or if the chick is in bad shape and soaking would stress them, then warm compresses. I have seen where a few people have "unclogged" a few chicks by soaking, applying a bit of coconut oil just inside the vent, then picking out poop with a qtip or even Popsicle stick - the poop had actually hardened and they had to "chip" it out. The soaking and oil helped soften it. If they had not done that the chick surely would have died.

Update on my chick (DH has started calling her Tiny). I think she is doing better! Here vent is still swollen, but not as bad as before. She is pooping regularly and without straining. Also she is more active than before. So I will keep up with the epsom soaks and prep H until the swelling completely subsides, but I really think she is on the mend. Thank you so much @Eggcessive and @Wyorp Rock rock! Your good sense and advice were priceless.

Here is a couple pictures of Tiny (on the left) and a buddy enjoying some wet mash and coconut oil.

44679808-A706-445B-A07E-4AAB6351D689.jpeg
9492A531-E744-4FEA-B7F5-4402DD647482.jpeg

Update on my chick (DH has started calling her Tiny). I think she is doing better! Here vent is still swollen, but not as bad as before. She is pooping regularly and without straining. Also she is more active than before. So I will keep up with the epsom soaks and prep H until the swelling completely subsides, but I really think she is on the mend. Thank you so much @Eggcessive and @Wyorp Rock rock! Your good sense and advice were priceless.

Here is a couple pictures of Tiny (on the left) and a buddy enjoying some wet mash and coconut oil.

View attachment 2080374View attachment 2080375
I'm glad to hear she's improving!
They are both just adorable:)

Back
Top Bottom