Swollen Wattle Thoughts

PortlandHen

Songster
7 Years
Jan 31, 2014
Portland, OR
Hey Friends,

My oldest hen (she’s 6) has a swollen wattle. I read about fowl cholera and I don’t know if it’s looking the same as other chickens I’ve seen online. She’s pretty old and has been moving slow for the past year and she’s not getting worse with the swelling. Any thoughts? It’s just the one side.

Just for reference: we have a small flock of 8. We hatched introduced eggs in July and no other chickens have been in contact with them. We keep the coop clean and no new treats, etc. she’s still eating fine. Her tail has been droopy for the past year. Getting old.

Thanks!

Attachments

• BC497355-E43B-412E-89E4-AC0A0709A7F7.jpeg
    BC497355-E43B-412E-89E4-AC0A0709A7F7.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 47
Do I also see foam in her eye? That could be a sign of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG).

I think if she were mine I'd consider trying to remove the lump. It might just be a a cyst that can easily be extracted. Now, I say that, but in reality, I'd probably be pretty scared to try it.

I zoomed in on her eye and it is puffy. No irritation. It’s not usually that puffy and I didn’t even notice it. Poor girl.

Attachments

• DE6F43DB-7AF0-479E-BA13-858D11187AB1.jpeg
    DE6F43DB-7AF0-479E-BA13-858D11187AB1.jpeg
    721.2 KB · Views: 20
Fowl cholera causes swollen wattles
https://animals.mom.me/chicken-comb-diseases-4432618.html
Here is another resource that has more info including treatment.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/fowl-cholera
Due to the potentially contagious component would isolate the bird with own food/water supply and seek a vet to check out.

I’ll have to call a vet. This will be a first for our hens, so I’ll need to find someone that knows chickens! I’ll have to separate tomorrow after I purchase a spot to put her. Thanks!

Do you think it’s necessary to separate her at this point? She has already been around the other chickens so I would think if she’s contagious they have already been exposed at this point. I would just hate to cause her any stress by isolating her, especially if it’s just a growth. It seems she has had it for a while and no one else is showing symptoms - but maybe I read that wrong. The poor thing, I do hope it turns out to be nothing serious!

There is no need to separate her in my opinion. If she has mycoplasma (MG) the others have already been exposed. I agree that it would stress her. The large lump could be a tumor, a puss-filled cyst, or other type of infection. Does it feel hard or soft like a water balloon? Your vet could lance it and squeeze some material out to se if it is infection, or they could do a needle aspiration. I would give her an antibiotic to treat her symptoms of mycoplasma, which requires Tylan, a tetracycline drug, Denagard, or something like Baytril. Your vet can prescribe, or we can help.

Back
Top Bottom