Swolllen abdomen, gurgling noises in tummy, emaciated hen

Thanks everyone for your help. She lived a good life. She was kind of a crotchey hen, always very *itchy, but she had character- vim and vigor, piss and vinegar. She didn't like something, which was often, she would let you know. She did die very respectably though and was extremely cooperative when I'd try to help her.

Here are the photos of the necropsy. It was my first necropsy, and I didn't have a sharp scalpel to cut her open so I did the best I could. I basically just wanted to see if she did have the EYP as was suspected. I don't have enough knowledge yet to really know much of what I'm looking at yet. I have a book to guide me, but other than internet photos and forums like this, that's about it.

the photos run backwards as far as time goes... the last one is first, the first one is last. Sorry about that, I don't know how to correct it.

This is the mass of eggs inside of her. I should have weighed it, but if I would have to guess it was about 8 pounds, if not more.

I didn't know at first what organs I was looking at...

In the photos you can also see what I mean when i say she was somewhat 'transitioning' to a male. She has a bit of a nub of a spur. I mean most hens do have a little bump there but her's is longer than normal hens.

"Popcorn" is sitting in the back. Her 'sister' hen "Peanut" is looking back at the camera with neck turned, tail facing. This was taken when they were young pullets, way before either of them were sick. Peanut I suspect is dying of the same thing Popcorn died from- EYP- though she has recently stabilized. The two were inseparable, probably due to the fact that at that time I had only bought two chicks. I won't raise two chicks together again due to the fact I think that its better for a chicken when you have many chicks raised together. These two were very isolated from the rest of the flock and I worry now that Peanut will suffer the loss of Popcorn. They are/were very bossy, but that could just be due to the fact they were some sort of Rhode Island red. They were also the most productive (as in eggs laid) hens I had. They stopped laying about age 2.75 years- well, obviously they are/were still laying but not in the normal healthy way. They were tractor supply Easter time chicks.

Wow that looked like major EYP. Sorry she died.

With 6 year olds, they'll not lay or lay sporadically "usually". I have 3 -7 year old Polish that will lay every day for a month straight in the spring, then that's it.

I've read that it's usually an e.coli infection in the ovary that starts EYP. Seems the flaps in the vent get stretched out and the bacteria has an easier time getting up to the ovary. Since the ovaries were affected, they may not have put out female hormone anymore, letting the male hormones take over.

You are a brave person to do the necropsy. I remember how scary and upset I was the first time. Now I look at it this way: without life in their body, they are just another supermarket chicken.

Wow that looked like major EYP. Sorry she died.

With 6 year olds, they'll not lay or lay sporadically "usually". I have 3 -7 year old Polish that will lay every day for a month straight in the spring, then that's it.

I've read that it's usually an e.coli infection in the ovary that starts EYP. Seems the flaps in the vent get stretched out and the bacteria has an easier time getting up to the ovary. Since the ovaries were affected, they may not have put out female hormone anymore, letting the male hormones take over.

You are a brave person to do the necropsy. I remember how scary and upset I was the first time. Now I look at it this way: without life in their body, they are just another supermarket chicken.
Thanks for the condolences and for the information! I had no idea about the e.coli starting the EYP. AND interesting about the male hormones taking over. Really good information.

Yeah, the necropsy was not something I looked forward to doing but you are right that it is just like a supermarket chicken. I am not looking forward to doing another though! I will do so if I need to or if I'm really stumped. Its not something I enjoy doing, but I do like knowing, and if it means I might find out something to help my flock, I'll try.

Just wanted you to know that my Rhodebar had the same thing. Very swollen belly from breast bone back, emaciated from breast bone up...was waddling and I finally picked her up and noticed how swollen she was. Checked her as well, no blockage...She had been setting for about a month, eggs disappeared then finally she was off the nest. My thought was that she resumed producing eggs, since she was setting she wasn't laying as usual, and perhaps none came out just continued to produce on the inside. That is all I could think of. She died yesterday...she was very heavy too for being so emaciated...the breast bone was thin and showing. If you find out what it was, please let me know...this is the first time this has happened to me....I am so sad as she was almost 2 years old....

Shar
[email protected]

Just wanted you to know that my Rhodebar had the same thing. Very swollen belly from breast bone back, emaciated from breast bone up...was waddling and I finally picked her up and noticed how swollen she was. Checked her as well, no blockage...She had been setting for about a month, eggs disappeared then finally she was off the nest. My thought was that she resumed producing eggs, since she was setting she wasn't laying as usual, and perhaps none came out just continued to produce on the inside. That is all I could think of. She died yesterday...she was very heavy too for being so emaciated...the breast bone was thin and showing. If you find out what it was, please let me know...this is the first time this has happened to me....I am so sad as she was almost 2 years old....

Shar
[email protected]

Sorry, the previous information just came up when I submitted my thoughts. I still think I had the same thing...I'm sorry but i think you did a great job. I just can't do that..
Shar

Looks like you did great on your first necropsy! The pictures are good as well, just as great as any of the ones I've seen from people who do them all the time. I'm glad you kept this thread updated as a learning resource for others, since this is sadly a pretty common question on this section of the forums. Sorry for your loss, thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom